Mercado de Jamaica– the flower market of Mexico City

This Sunday afternoon, we decided to go for a exploration of the wholesale flower market of Mexico City, Mercado de Jamaica. This massive market is apparently *the* place for purchasing flowers for basically all flower vendors in Mexico City and for locals looking for fresh, gorgeous, bargain-priced flowers. We decided to go here with John’s dad Bob (who’s visiting along w/John’s stepmom Pam) because he’s a certified master gardner (I’m told this is an actual title? Who knew!) & thought he would be amused. If I was holding any sort of celebration here in Mexico City, I would definitely hit up Jamaica to stockpile on stunning flower arrangements in advance, since I cannot arrange my way out of the proverbial paper bag.

We were initially somewhat skeptical of how different this would be from the other bazillion mercados here in Mexico, but I can confirm: it is definitely worth a visit & also a good spot to bring visitors. (Most of the aisles are quite large/spacious, making it both easy to gawk & take photos from afar, and less stressful for disoriented gringos as you are less likely to be run down by locals with small grocery carts or men carrying sides of beef.) That said, there is plenty of the standard market fare as well, so if you are looking to see piles of avocados, hanging pig heads, or the best damn carnitas stall I’ve experienced, you will still be in luck.

Bob poses with roses (as well as bags of pre-plucked rose petals, in case you are too lazy for a full-fledged game of "He loves me, he loves me not")

Bob poses with roses (as well as bags of pre-plucked rose petals, in case one is too lazy for a full-fledged game of "He loves me, he loves me not")

John's favorite-- pollen-laden lillies. That said, by some act of God, we managed to get through this whole market with neither John's nor Bob's allergies acting up. A small miracle.

This intriguing arrangement has complements its roses on top with another set of roses upside down, dipping into the water in the vase

This intriguing arrangement has complemented its roses on top with another set of roses upside down, dipping into the water in the vase

The boxes of brightly colored gerberas were some of my favorites

The boxes of brightly colored gerberas were some of my favorites

I have never seen such a vibrant blue dye-job on a calla lily

I have never seen such a vibrant blue dye-job on a calla lily

Whatever your religious ceremony needs-- wedding, funeral, baptism, you name it-- Mercado de Jamaica has you covered

For those of you who find individual flowers a bit dull, but love dogs, do not fear: Mercado de Jamaica has something for you as well…

In case this isn't immediately obvious to you, these flowers have been formed into a white dog carrying a rose in his mouth.

Pam has a little white kick-dog named Teddy back in Florida, and since she was trapped in our apartment today with a displeasing illness, Bob brought her back a white Teddy look-a-like made from flowers. These are brilliant-- cost $2.10 USD in Mexico, but I bet you could sell these puppies for $30+ in the US. :)

And finally for those of you who hate flowers altogether, still do not fear: like I said, you can always just eat. :)

For those of you familiar with the fruit-like vegetable jicama, this was a stand that sold "paddles" of jicama (note round, white thing on a stick in the back), which were then dampened & dipped in various colored/flavored sugars. A fan favorite with the kids.

And finally I think we found the best stand for a late lunch-- "Carnitas Paty". The carnitas tacos (braised/carmelized pork) were fantastic. Though we were a bit more skeptical when the client after us ordered what appeared to be several pig penises chopped into taco filling. Concerning.

John & Bob, mid-pork festival. A productive market trip on all fronts!!

John & Bob, mid-pork festival. A productive market trip on all fronts!!

HOW TO GET TO MERCADO DE JAMAICA IN MEXICO CITY: It is conveniently located right on top of the Metro stop of the same name (Jamaica) on the brown line (#9), whose endpoints are Tacubaya & Pantitlan. By taxi, it is just north of the Viaducto east-west highway and about ~2 miles southeast of the Zocalo.

38 Comments on “Mercado de Jamaica– the flower market of Mexico City”

1. #1 American Mommy in Mexico
    on Feb 7th, 2009 at 1:51 am

Very entertaining! I really want to go there alas Mexico City is not on our list of places to vsisit this year!

2. #2 tania
    on Mar 24th, 2009 at 7:45 pm

yup thats my mexico! im from over there i try to go every 2 yrs lately i have been going every year.. lucky:) and this mercado is my favorite i love flowers!! and there is so many there…thanks for the pics they are beautiful…and i want some takos now!

3. #3 Design Swan » Blog Archive » Lovely Flower Dog
    on Apr 28th, 2009 at 6:42 pm

[...] With dog with rose in his mouth. image credit [...]

4. #4 yara
    on Jun 18th, 2009 at 4:01 am

i was just serching this place for fun and I found this…. OMG I used to live pretty close to the mercado! I can tell that those Carnitas are the best, i go over there every year and I can miss to go and eat there… Thanks Pedro (the owner) for those delicious carnitas!

5. #5 sofia
    on Aug 23rd, 2009 at 8:42 am

I love super love the puppy flowers, your so lucky to visit Mexico.I cant wait to go.

6. #6 mexico florist
    on Sep 29th, 2009 at 12:53 am

We really enjoyed your website and information. We are always looking for quality fresh flowers for our website http://www.Mexicoflorista.com. Thank you again for your beautiful site.

7. #7 Best kid-friendly Halloween decor – Midwesterner in Mexico
    on Oct 31st, 2009 at 10:58 pm

[...] wanted to quickly share this gem of a Halloween decoration that we came across on Wednesday down at Mercado Jamaica (which reaffirmed its place in my mind as “the best market in Mexico City”). This [...]

8. #8 Dia de los Muertos celebrations around DF – Midwesterner in Mexico
    on Nov 2nd, 2009 at 11:39 pm

[...] Patzcuaro in Michoacan and Mixquic just southeast of DF). However, we did manage visits to Mercado Jamaica, Coyoacan (incl. the Frida Kahlo Museum & Museo Nacional de Culturas Populares- thanks to Ruth [...]

9. #9 Mexico Shopping Spree – Midwesterner in Mexico
    on Nov 30th, 2009 at 12:15 pm

[...] Jamaica: I’ve posted about Jamaica before, but just to reiterate– easiest way to get there is take the Metro to [...]

10. #10 image credit - StartTags.com
    on Jan 28th, 2010 at 1:00 am

[...] Kick … Credit: Vince Flores/Celebrity Photo. Updated: Thursday Jan 04, 2007 | 06:00 AM EST …Mercado de Jamaica the flower market of Mexico City …image credit [...] #4 yara. on Jun 18th, 2009 at 4:01 am. i was just serching this place for fun and [...]

11. #11 LISA SOLORZANO
    on Feb 5th, 2010 at 7:12 pm

This is one of the best places in Mexico City. I love all the flowers there and being that I’m a florist myself I have an eye for all those beautiful creations done by my ancestors. I can’t wait to go visit again.It’s like the Disneyland of flowers.

12. #12 Karla
    on Jul 21st, 2010 at 1:21 pm

I love this mercado, I live in Dallas TX but I’m from Mexico City, what I love the most are the tacos of cecina, u got to try those, with some consome or flautas, OMG!!! MY MOUTH IS WATERY NOW!!!

on Jul 22nd, 2010 at 11:27 am

jaja Thanks for the note Karla; yeah, I am obsessed w/Jamaica– love the combo of amazing flowers + fruit/veg + elote stands + carnitas stands, etc. etc. Jamaica is also great around any holidays– they have loads of specialty stands during Dia de los Muertos and Christmas. Good luck finding something similar in DFW!! ;)

14. #14 amaro
    on Dec 15th, 2010 at 9:31 pm

El mercado de flores de jamaica , es rico en variedad , lastima que como grupo, y parte de unaasociacion civil . sirva . para el sostenimiento politico de unn partido , y dentro de este los comerciantes denuncien anomalias y malos manejos , de la mesa directiva , para lo cual yo personalmente no tengo pruebas , pero si se que ,todos debemos manejarnos por la legalidad , y no saltar esta legaliadad comprando autoridades , ni haciendoles favores con el dinero de otros , para conseguir un seudo fuero que protega al corrupto de la ley

15. #15 Carnitas: bring that porky magic to your own kitchen – Midwesterner in Mexico
    on Jan 24th, 2011 at 2:51 pm

[...] along to you, in the event you’ve not had the chance to try them anywhere like fan-favorite Carnitas Paty in Mexico City’s Mercado [...]

16. #16 elizabeth
    on Apr 25th, 2011 at 6:34 pm

quiero saber como le hago para comrar flor en jamaica y que me la den a moyoreo que la pudieran mandar a la ciudad de monterrey , en el estado de nuevo leon, pais mexico

17. #17 A race to the finish: our final days in Mexico City! – Midwesterner in Mexico
    on Oct 23rd, 2011 at 7:15 pm

[...] “top market in Mexico City” rating for Mercado Jamaica was recently seconded by an unbiased third party.   Besides flowers, they always have a great [...]

18. #18 Mexico, a kaleidoscope | lanock
    on Nov 25th, 2012 at 1:46 am

[...] The Mercado Jamaica is much smaller, with several areas for car parking interspersed, both vendors’ and customers’. Pickup trucks come in loaded w/ flowers to wholesale to the many florists and flower arrangers. I can’t imagine the desperate feeling of coming to town and sitting around a truck all day, hoping someone will buy your wares. Almost every florist has something unique, does something a little differently, so they have something to show off. See http://www.midwesternerinmexico.com/2009/01/19/mercado-de-jamaica-the-flower-market-of-mexico-city/ [...]

19. #19 jackie
    on Mar 27th, 2013 at 1:52 pm

me van a ser mis 15 este ano y qiero una mariposa echa de flores

20. #20 jo
    on Feb 28th, 2015 at 4:46 pm

how can I get ahold of the business??????

21. #21 customized tshirts
    on Jun 13th, 2015 at 4:34 am

Oh my goodness! Incredible article dude! Thank you,
    However I am having difficulties with your RSS. I don’t know the reason why I cannot
    subscribe to it. Is there anybody having similar RSS issues?

Anybody who knows the solution can you kindly respond?
    Thanks!!

22. #22 Jpure
    on Jun 17th, 2015 at 9:59 pm

Understanding both advantages and disadvantages are important
    in order to choose the best internet marketing strategy.
    Advertisers all over the place, advertising everything underneath the sun.
    By ranking your website on the very first page of
    search engine results, you are tapping into a huge
    number of people looking for what exactly you offer.

23. #23 www.fubiz.net
    on Jun 18th, 2015 at 8:23 am

About The – Author: Harris –
    * Edwin Hubbel Chapin once said, “Every action of our lives touches on. These microbes will settle in the tank and digest the waste in the tank.

24. #24 visit this link
    on Jun 18th, 2015 at 5:59 pm

I just like the helpful information you supply in your articles.
    I will bookmark your weblog and test again right here regularly.
    I am rather sure I’ll be told a lot of new stuff right right here!
    Best of luck for the next!

25. #25 cheap tshirt design
    on Jun 18th, 2015 at 8:12 pm

whoah this weblog is excellent i love studying your articles.
    Keep up the great work! You already know, many individuals are looking round for this info, you can help them greatly.

26. #26 zonecore supplement
    on Jun 19th, 2015 at 3:59 am

Unquestionably imagine that which you said. Your favorite reason appeared to be at the web the easiest thing to have in mind
    of. I say to you, I certainly get annoyed while other folks consider
    worries that they just do not recognize about.
    You managed to hit the nail upon the top and defined
    out the entire thing without having side-effects ,
    other folks can take a signal. Will likely be again to get more.
    Thanks

27. #27 Wendy
    on Jun 19th, 2015 at 5:13 pm

Most common capacities are 5000 litres, 10000 litres, and 20000 litres.
    Pipes and fittings are often made of the same base material such as
    Nitrogen-deficient grass invites the growth of moss.

28. #28 www.pixeljoint.com
    on Jun 20th, 2015 at 10:34 am

The entire effect of these rugs to a room should be considered when purchasing
    one. Pipes and fittings are often made of the same base material such as copper, steel, polyvinyl chloride (PVC), and chlorinated polyvinyl chloride (CPVC).

While both parents were charged, one of the charges that
    the boy’s mother is facing is more serious than what
    the boy’s father is facing, according to WUSA-9
    on April 3.

29. #29 Zachary
    on Jun 20th, 2015 at 2:33 pm

As a homeowner, you will have maintenance and other related costs to keep your
    drain system running efficiently. Reed beds present sludge dewatering by plant consumption,
    evapotranspiration, and drainage. Tiny video cameras are
    sometimes used to probe intricate pipes to pinpoint hidden leaks and problems.

30. #30 Dotty
    on Jun 20th, 2015 at 10:11 pm

About The – Author: Harris – Noah is an expert author on pet products related topics and currently workingfor.
    But make sure that you consider the style your home is built with.
    It is not known what prompted officials to drain that specific septic tank looking for Noah’s body.

31. #31 tee shirt printers
    on Jun 23rd, 2015 at 2:09 am

Thanks for some other wonderful article.
    The place else may anyone get that kind of information in such a
    perfect method of writing? I have a presentation next week, and I am at the
    search for such information.

32. #32 perth hair
    on Jun 24th, 2015 at 7:08 am

I got this website from my buddy who shared with me about this
    website and at the moment this time I am browsing this web site and reading very
    informative content at this time.

33. #33 tips and trick
    on Jun 25th, 2015 at 2:17 am

Moreover, the good thing about it is that you do not even need
    to spend so much for a design you fancy. Thus, the idea for “Safety – Tat – just in case” was
    born. This is a great way to narrow down your
    selection and easily go back to your favorites.
    Many people will choose tiny designs to symbolize various things, many times people.

34. #34 Angelo
    on Jun 25th, 2015 at 5:31 am

Daisy, which means loyalty and faith, is also used for flower tattoo.

Do you think someone who has a bull dog is different from someone dressed in tribal.
    Larger tattoos will be too obvious and would defeat the intended
    purpose. It really takes an artist’s eye to understand the face, be able to place features correctly, and match colors to
    your skin type and hair coloring.

35. #35 Kristina
    on Jun 29th, 2015 at 8:56 am

When getting rid of drain clogs, avoid using chemical cleaners.

But make sure that you consider the style your home is built with.

Tiny video cameras are sometimes used to probe intricate pipes to
    pinpoint hidden leaks and problems.

36. #36 online celeb
    on Jul 1st, 2015 at 12:36 pm

Hello, I desire to subscribe for this webpage to obtain latest updates, therefore where can i do
    it please assist.

37. #37 relocation services san francisco
    on Jul 1st, 2015 at 10:48 pm

Unquestionably believe that that you stated. Your favorite reason seemed to be at the web the simplest
    thing to take note of. I say to you, I definitely get irked
    at the same time as other folks think about issues that they
    plainly do not recognise about. You controlled to hit the nail
    upon the highest and also defined out the entire
    thing without having side-effects , folks can take a signal.
    Will likely be again to get more. Thanks

38. #38 free cash flow system scam
    on Jul 2nd, 2015 at 2:29 pm

It’s genuinely very complicated in this active
    life to listen news on TV, so I simply use internet for that purpose, and get the latest news.