Membership has its privileges…

…and finally tomorrow, I will get to experience one of those priviledges. Membership in what, you may ask? In the Spouses of US Embassy Employees club. Mind you, this is not an official club. Or really even an unofficial club. If it were, I would envision its membership requirements being something like:

• an inability to remember the 8,534 acronyms that are the apparent sole means of communication among government workers
  • a passion for superficial chats with innumerable govvie coworkers who you assume will probably have moved away to another embassy before you see them again, causing susbequent awkward conversations when you can’t remember their names
  • a slightly-concerning level of desire for some of America’s finest products that are nowhere to be found in Mexico, i.e. real Saran Wrap, good Chinese take-out, and blueberry muffin mix with the wee can of real blueberries in the box.

Anyway, WHAT is said priviledge of belonging to this non-existent club?? A chance to see Obama tomorrow during his visit to Mexico City!!!!

That’s right; this girl has a ticket for the Visit of President Barack Obama tomorrow afternoon. I am somewhat nervous to write this gloating blog post in advance, for fear of jinxing things & causing it to be cancelled due to something like a flaming tacos al pastor stand collapsing onto his motorcade. However, since I rarely have such cause to gloat, I have decided to risk it anyway.

And here’s the proof!

When I make a scrapbook 30 years from now about our time in Mexico, this is definitely going in there.

Well, here’s half of the proof for the moment. With all you crazy photoshopping wizards out there, I felt a full ticket photo was unwise at this juncture. While I am not holding out great hope for getting any great pics tomorrow with me + the other 8 bazillion Embassy employees + families + pet dogs all trying to touch Obama’s hand in hopes of him healing our leprosy, I will do my best to get at least something that is blog-worthy.

In a perfect world, there would be a magical scenario in which I would be able to get my SECOND “I’m Taller than the President of the United States” photo. However, I will keep the hope alive until tomorrow afternoon.

OK, a few things here: a) this was BEFORE the Monica incident. b) I was not touched inappropriately, nor requested TO touch inappropriately. c) everyone in the Midwest had hair like this in the 90s. d) yes, this is a photo of a photo.

OK, a few things here: a) this was Clinton BEFORE the Monica incident. b) I was not touched inappropriately, nor requested TO touch inappropriately. c) everyone in the Midwest had hair like this in the 90s. d) yes, this is a photo of a photo.

11 Comments on “Membership has its privileges…”

1. #1 alice
    on Apr 16th, 2009 at 8:43 am

No freakin’ way you get to meet Obama! I am going to stand on a street corner in Polanco and hope for the best. Nice pic with Billy Clinton…

2. #2 Joy
    on Apr 16th, 2009 at 9:13 am

I now feel compelled to post a photo of me with Ann Richards, sporting similar bangs (me, not her — she always had awesome poofy hair).

I hope you have a fantastic time, and please please please take photos — for us American civilians in MexCity who don’t get to attend. *Sadness*

3. #3 melissa
    on Apr 16th, 2009 at 10:15 am

congrats…and please, do tell!!!

4. #4 Lesley
    on Apr 16th, 2009 at 12:23 pm

Ditto to all comments above! Maybe we can have a post-Obama cocktail night, and you can spill all the details? I also want to hear about this Bill Clinton meeting.

5. #5 Gary
    on Apr 16th, 2009 at 7:09 pm

I think its great Obama is coming to your town! can’t wait to hear your spin on the days events!!

6. #6 Penny
    on Apr 17th, 2009 at 8:49 pm

Hoping for pictures!!! Penny

7. #7 Susie
    on Apr 18th, 2009 at 11:11 am

I’m super inspired and can’t wait to read next blog post!

8. #8 Gerda Govine Ituarte
    on Apr 18th, 2009 at 5:00 pm

Hi Julie:

From a Virgin Islander, New Yorker, Pasadenian and Tijuanian to you, a Midwesterner in Mexico. I was referred to you by my dear friend Shirley Spencer in Pasadena, who is a cousin of your Dad Larry. Anyway, I am originally from St. Thomas. I previously lived in New York City and now reside simultaneously in Pasadena and Tijuana, B.C., Mexico. I continue to be a “border gypsy” over ten years along with my husband artist Luis Ituarte, who is a third-generation Tijuanian. We created an art and culture non-profit in Pasadena and an Asociacion Civil in Mexico. Our organization is called Consejo Fronterizo de Arte y Cultura (COFAC) Border Council of Art and Culture, (www.cofac.org.) I would love to hear from you and share experiences.

Congratulations on your President Obama invitation–how amazing is that! Take care.

Gerda

9. #9 mcm
    on Apr 18th, 2009 at 10:10 pm

You don’t know me, I don’t know you. Essential facts: I’m much shorter than you are and live near Merida, Yucatan. This is a great blog! It consistently makes me laugh. And, I really think that you’ve captured the essence of successful “foreigner in Mexico” living…don’t take it too seriously, and for heaven’s sake, don’t take yourself seriously!
    Are you REALLY taller than Bill Clinton????

10. #10 Todd McIntosh
    on Apr 19th, 2009 at 3:49 pm

Congrats and good luck on getting another photo, but seriously, are you 12 in that picture with Bill or what???

Todd

11. #11 Lori
    on Apr 24th, 2009 at 1:03 pm

NICE PICTURE OF YOU AND CLINTON. YOUR TALLER THAN THE EX-PRESIDENT, LOL. NICE.