Navigating the Mexico City Airport

I recently received a reader request (yay!) for an overview on what happens when you get off the plane in the Mexico City Airport, so I thought I would share a few tips I’ve gathered thus far from my trips.

Airport Code: MEX
Possible Aliases: Benito Juarez International Airport, or AICM (Aeropuerto Internacional de la Ciudad de México)
Website: http://www.aicm.com.mx/ or for English click http://www.aicm.com.mx/home_en.php
Location: Here’s a map from Streets and Trips showing where the Airport is located (blue circle) in comparison to some of the more popular neighborhoods (red circles). Also highlighted in purple squares are a couple of the main roads taxis use to get to/from the airport from the west side of the city (i.e. going to/from Polanco).

Location of Mexico City Airport

Location of Mexico City Airport (click image to enlarge)

Metro Stop: Terminal Aerea on the yellow line #5.

Map of Terminals: Check out this wild-though-slightly-confusing interactive map.

Terminals: There are two Terminals, 1 and 2.  Unfortunately it is not as simple as one is the domestic, one is the international terminal. International flights arrive into both terminals. You can see the full list by airline here on the AICM website, or here is a quick list of the big names:

• Aeromexico: #2
  • American: #1
  • British Airways/Air Canada/Air France: #1
  • Continental: #2
  • Delta: #2
  • Mexicana/Mexicana Click: #1
  • Northwest: #2
  • United: #1
  • US Airways: #1

What happens when I arrive on an international flight into Mexico City? (I will answer this from the perspective of Terminal 1, since that is where I have flown into from the States. The process should be the same for Terminal 2, but I imagine the layout is slightly different.)

After you get off the plane, you’ll walk through the main area of the terminal & follow the signs downstairs towards customs/immigration. First you’ll go through Immigration, where you’ll turn in the immigration form that you likely received on the plane. Note: US citizens need a passport to travel to Mexico as of June 2009. Only note-to-self here is don’t be talking on your cell phone in the immigration area.

Next you’ll pick up any checked luggage you had at the baggage claim. IMPORTANT LUGGAGE NOTE FOR BOTH TERMINALS: MEX is the only airport I’ve been to that actually checks to see if your luggage claim ticket matches the luggage tags on your bag before you leave the baggage area. This is true for both domestic & international flights. So make it easy on yourself & be sure you save that little claim ticket that you received when checking-in your bag before your flight!!

To leave the baggage claim area, you’ll pass through Customs, where you’ll hand over your import declaration form & you’ll put all of your bags on a belt through another scanner. Then you press a button & either get a green light or red light, signifying whether you can continue on your way (green) or customs is going to search your bags (red).

Yay, now you’ve made it past all the checkpoints. Next step: getting a taxi. When you exit the secured area of Terminal 1 after customs, turn and walk to your right. Below is another map showing the path you’ll take.

The red line shows the path through Terminal 1 in the Mexico City airport from Immigration to Baggage Claim to Customs to taxis

Getting a taxi at the Mexico City airport:

Your next task is to find a taxi. You will be fine if you go to one of the stands inside the airport terminal. There are several authorized taxi companies (see list here) and the prices are set based on a system of which “zone” you are going to. Approach one of the stands and tell them the address to which you’re headed, including the colonia (or the name of the neighborhood). IMPORTANT NOTE FOR NOT WASTING MONEY ON A AIRPORT TAXI: Ask for a sedan taxi. Otherwise, they will charge you for an SUV (or ejecutivo) taxi, which is $300 pesos instead of <$200 pesos to go to most colonias. That said, if you are with a group of more than 2 people with large luggage, you may want to consider the SUV/ejecutivo taxis simply from a space/comfort perspective… The sedan taxis generally don’t have a ton of space in their trunk for crazy-big American-sized suitcases, and leg room can be limited if you are stuffing 4 passengers into one car.

I have never had a taxi stand try to screw with me on the price to get to my address once we got past the sedan vs. SUV topic. However, if you want to check what the price should be, this taxi company website lets you type in your colonia destination & tells you what the price should be for that zone. (Note: some colonias span 2 zones & that website won’t tell you which specific zone your address is in.)

For any future visitors of ours, our apartment building is in Zona 6 of Polanco, so I just ask the taxi stand for “un sedan a Polanco, zona seis”, which is $190 pesos.

If you have pesos, you can pay in cash; if not, most of the taxi stands take credit cards & I consider it safe to use one there. (Just make sure your credit card operator is aware of your trip to Mexico & is expecting to see purchases from Mexico, so your card doesn’t get denied.) The taxi stand will give you a receipt with two parts, and then you walk outside where the taxis lurk. At this point, a random dude will usually try to grab your luggage out of your hand to drag it the 100 feet to the taxi area. Feel free to resist this effort if you don’t want to give him a tip (and believe me, he WILL pressure you into giving him a tip of maybe $5-10 pesos).

There should be another gentleman standing outside who will look at your taxi receipt & point you in the direction of the taxis from the company you chose (again, multiple taxi companies operate here). You can usually figure this out as well by matching the colors/logo on your receipt with the colors/logo on the taxi.  When you get in the taxi, the driver will keep half of the receipt & you’ll get the other half. Now is when I tell the driver the specific address I am going to (the people at the stand indoors don’t really care, other than to make sure you’re paying the right price for the right zone). Once you arrive at your destination, you don’t need to tip the taxi driver since you’re in the spendier, safe sitio-type taxis (I never do). However, you can give him a few pesos if you feel like he was über-helpful with your luggage or tolerated you trying to chat with him in Spanglish for 30 minutes.

And that’s it! You’ve made it from airplane to the taxi without issue!

Other random Q&A:

I have family/friends flying into the Mexico City airport; should I pick them up or is it safe to have them use the airport taxis? As my parents and brother can now attest, I am a big advocate of visitors just getting one of the taxis at the airport. There is no negotiating required, they are safe, and they are fast. We initially tried sending a taxista to meet our visitors at the airport, but finding an obvious place to meet/ensuring said taxista arrived on time was not as easy as we hoped. As friend Emily can attest (who we decided to pick up because we thought Saturday afternoon would be “easy” to grab her from the airport & head directly to a neighborhood down south), our trip to the airport took at least an hour due to traffic/accident blocking a key lane of traffic, and then it took us about 2 hours to get to our destination because we didn’t realize the eastern half of the city is under construction. Alternatively, I estimate it would have taken her <30 minutes to get to our house via airport taxi.

What if I want to go on a fool’s mission to pick someone up at the airport? There is fairly cheap parking available outside of both terminals, and finding the parking garage entrance is even pretty well marked! Check out aforementioned map to suss out where the parking is.

How long does it take to check in for a flight at the Mexico City airport/what is security like? In our experience, the larger Mexican airlines are extremely efficient/quick getting people checked-in (i.e. Aeromexico & Mexicana). It should take you <30 minutes to get checked in & go through the loosest security checkpoint ever. When we have flown US airlines back to the US, however, it has taken about an hour to get checked in (due to minimal # of staff trying to check in 3 int’l flights at once), so plan accordingly.

The main security checkpoint at the airport is almost a non-issue and typically quite fast. I’ve had no issues with liquids, only with the nail file portion of a nail clippers I had, which the security woman simply broke off from the nail clippers (which had been through about a zillion other flights without issue, than you very much). On international flights to the US, you will have the “US-style” security check at your gate right before you board. That is where they will check to make sure you comply with the US liquids rules of <3oz. Also FYI, you can’t even bring unopened bottles of water onto the plane for flights to the US, even if you just bought it at the store right next to your gate.

Should I take the metro to get to the airport? I can’t really speak to this since I’ve never tried it. However, I can offer the commentary that I would probably not feel very comfortable taking the metro to the Mexico City airport if I was dragging any measurable amount of luggage. The metro can be pretty busy/packed depending upon the time/day you are on it, so it may make me a bit nervous to try & monitor a combination of backpack/purse/carry-on/big suitcase while surrounded by a crush of people. I would also factor in how many subway-line changes you have to make from your starting point to get to the airport. From our house, 3 different lines are required & I imagine it would take easily an hour+ door-to-door, plus getting fairly sweaty before you board a multi-hour international flight. That said, if you’ve tried it & it was super-easy, please advise!!

How do I transfer between terminals?

Conveniently, the airport has an AirTrain (aka AeroTren) that will zip you between the terminals. Rumor has it that it runs between 5AM and 10PM & the ride takes about 5 minutes. Just look for signs with a train-looking icon & follow those. Also, this website has a great summary of going from Terminal 2 to Terminal 1 via the AirTrain.

UPDATE–> looks like the above link is dead (thanks for the alert, Kire!), but there is some commentary on this page regarding the Aerotren. The salient points are basically:

• “To take the Aerotrén from T-1: take the moving staircase by Sala D (1st floor), turn left and walk to the middle of the bridge, from there you can take the trip to T-2.”
  • The Aerotrén leaves from T-2 on the first floor: access is to the left of the check-in desks, at the entrance to the ‘dedo sur – southern finger’ – of T-2.”   (info courtesy www.aeropuertosmexico.com)

Readers, please holler if you have any additional guidance that I’ve missed or further questions that I’ve overlooked!

UPDATE #2–>> Check out my new post to discover a good meeting point if you are meeting friends or family inside Terminal 1 at the Mexico City airport.  (There are two doors from which people arriving on international flights can leave the secured area, so it’s nice to have a meeting point just in case you aren’t clear which door they will be exiting.)

45 Comments on “Navigating the Mexico City Airport”

1. #1 American Mommy in Mexico
    on Jul 17th, 2009 at 12:09 pm

I do not know how anything could have possibly been missed! Impressive detail and pictures too!

2. #2 Joy
    on Jul 17th, 2009 at 12:19 pm

If people are still wanting more information, I wrote this a couple of years ago, before I met my secret love: Terminal 2.

3. #3 Monica
    on Jul 17th, 2009 at 12:49 pm

i as an italian i have to fill two forms before entering mexico: the one in the link and the one written in red

4. #4 Kim
    on Jul 17th, 2009 at 3:54 pm

You forgot about the rogue taxi guys after you leave customs trying to lure you to one of their unauthorized taxis to bring you who knows where!?!!!!

5. #5 Tori
    on Jul 17th, 2009 at 11:05 pm

Julie….thanks for doing this, and not just for me, but for those that could possibly be traveling alone for the first time there. I really appreciate your detail, and you have seemed to of hit everything. Thanks again, and next Saturday can’t come fast enough!!
    PS: Forgot to add great post!

6. #6 Laura
    on Jul 18th, 2009 at 7:17 am

Thanks for posting this, can you also add the process of arriving at one terminal and catching a connecting flight from the *other* terminal? I have never done it myself, but have heard to allow LOTS of time in between flights, not only for the immigration but getting from point A to point B on the train.

And thank you for reminding readers to alert ther credit card issuer before traveling. I always do this, after an initial trip and having the card denied when I really needed to use it!

on Jul 20th, 2009 at 7:57 am

Hi all! Thanks for the feedback!
    Joy- agreed, Terminal 2 is magic & super-easy.
    Kim– Yes! Don’t be seduced by the random dudes claiming secret taxi offerings as they wander by you!
    Tori– Happy to help!! Hope you have a great trip!
    Laura- Good question regarding transferring between terminals; I have not done that, but I found a guy’s website who outlines the process with photos. He doesn’t say exactly how much time to allow, but I would tend to agree– act on the safe side & allow AT LEAST an hour, probably more, to ensure you get through immigration/baggage claim/customs & have time to take the 5-min train ride + get to your new gate, + allowing a little extra for any flight delays. Perhaps more like 1.5-2 hrs… http://www.strykers.net/maps/T2/

8. #8 Lesley
    on Jul 20th, 2009 at 10:34 am

Wow! I think I’m going to send this post to every visitor we have. Super helpful. Have I mentioned that I love your map-making skills?

9. #9 mjesf
    on Jul 21st, 2009 at 11:19 pm

About the question about taking the Metro to the airport, having done it; I can say it is doable if and only if you have packed super light (as in everything is in a very, very small duffel bag that regularly holds your gym clothes) and you can do multiple transfers to get to your destination.

10. #10 Daniel
    on Aug 1st, 2009 at 11:15 pm

Very good post. As somebody who lived in Mexico City for 7 years, I can say it has nothing missing.

I would say that going through customs at terminal 2 is way easier than going through at terminal 1.

One thing I think is valuable to add on the AirTrain section, is that you have to have a boarding pass to go from terminal 1 to terminal 2. Or know your ticket number or e-ticket. I didn’t have a boarding pass, nor knew my e-ticket, so I had to either take a taxi or a public bus.

11. #11 Amazilia
    on Aug 9th, 2009 at 3:08 pm

Congratulations!! this is the most complete post about the airport that I have read. I wish you have written it before my trip to Mexico. The airport and the taxi system is really good and efficient in Mexico and in general their transportation system is superb.
    Once I went to the airport by the Metro, and as one commentator said before it is only recommendable if you have light baggage.

12. #12 Who doesn’t like a good milestone like 100 blog posts? – Midwesterner in Mexico
    on Aug 30th, 2009 at 3:05 am

[...] but obviously reader requests rise to the top of the heap. ;)  (Reference recent über-popular Mexico City Airport post requested by reader Tori!) If anything leaps to mind, please give me a holler. For anyone [...]

13. #13 katrina
    on Sep 5th, 2009 at 9:54 pm

THe matching of baggage ticket to luggage is a common practice in many south american countries I’ve visited. I think it’s an attempt to stop someone lifting your luggage?

14. #14 Tiffany ramirez
    on Jan 19th, 2010 at 7:15 pm

when arriving to juarez international airport terminal 2 are you able to meet your family in that terminal or do you have to go over to terminal 1 to meet your family?

on Jan 19th, 2010 at 8:45 pm

Hi Tiffany! Your family can come meet you in either Terminal 2 or Terminal 1. Both have parking lots if they drive a car to come get you. Once you leave the secure passengers-only baggage claim area, there are always families & drivers waiting for people right outside the baggage area exit in both terminals. Have a great trip!

16. #16 Kire
    on Mar 3rd, 2010 at 5:28 pm

Do you have to leave the secure area to get on the train to T2?

on Mar 4th, 2010 at 9:27 am

Hi Kire,

Yes, I am 99% certain you have to exit the secure area, and then the sign for the train is within the terminal on one end (but outside security).

18. #18 Kire
    on Mar 8th, 2010 at 2:45 pm

Thanks for your super fast reply! So I imagine we get off, go through customs, then get dumped out downstairs somewhere, then go back upstairs and hop the train.

Unfortunately http://www.strykers.net/maps/T2/ is broken.

Are there many places to eat past security in T2?

on Mar 8th, 2010 at 5:07 pm

Hi Kire,
    Thanks for the note re. that link; I found some commentary on another site & added a link above.
    W/r/t food inside T2, I wouldn’t say there’s a wealth of options but there’s enough to survive. :) There are a couple Starbucks & a 7-Eleven convenience store w/snacks. Also there’s a Wings (kind of like a Denny’s or Perkins). And a few others that I don’t recall by name…

If you are super inspired, you can look up restaurants on this link: http://www.aicm.com.mx/servicioausuarios_en/resultbusqueda.php?Comercio=432&Grupo3=2 , though it is admittedly a bit difficult to tell if they are pre or post security.
    Good luck!

20. #20 Dave T
    on Jul 15th, 2010 at 10:58 pm

In addition to Wings in T-2, there are also TWO locations of Carl’s Jr. fast food (the best hamburgers in the business), one upstairs and one downstairs. There’s a food court upstairs that has numerous options…mostly non-chain places…and a Chili’s.

21. #21 Mexico City Airport- Terminal 1 Meeting Point – Midwesterner in Mexico
    on Jul 18th, 2010 at 11:44 am

[...] it with any other impending Mexico City airport visitors. (Consider it a follow-up to my “Navigating the Mexico City Airport ” post from last [...]

on Jul 18th, 2010 at 11:53 am

Thanks Dave– much appreciated tips on some non-Wings options!! :)

23. #23 John
    on Aug 19th, 2010 at 11:57 pm

Hi everyone, I’m going to Mexico City for the 1st time and this was most helpful. There’s just a couple of things I’m still wondering about.

1. Is there an ATM in the secure area of T2?

and

2. Is Librerias Gandhi in or out of the secure area of T2? I need to pick up a couple of concert tickets I bought from ticketmastermx.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    John

on Aug 23rd, 2010 at 10:45 am

Hi John,

It sounds like Librerias Gandhi is inside the secure area of T2: http://www.ticketmaster.com.mx/h/tcenters/oriente/gandhita2.html If you are flying into T2, however, I don’t think you will be able to access that area… I’m not 100% sure, but I think you can only access that area if you are getting on a flight, not if you are arriving.

Similarly, there are a variety of ATMs in T2 (inside/outside secure area) ; you can see them on the “interactive” map on the airport website. http://www.aicm.com.mx/servicioausuarios_en/resultbusqueda.php?Comercio=21&Grupo3=7 for the list or http://www.aicm.com.mx/informacionalpasajero_en/mapaaicm/interactivemap.php?UBICA=ALL_44&NIVEL=PLANTA%20BAJA&COMERCIO=BANAMEX&TELEFONO=12-26-23-11&HORARIO=MONDAY-SUNDAY%2024:00%20HRS&SERVICIOS=FINANCIAL&LOCAL=44&TERMINALAEREA=T2 for the map (click “services” and click the “$” sign).

Good luck!

25. #25 John
    on Aug 23rd, 2010 at 10:37 pm

Thank a lot Julie. Much appreciated. I found some alternative ticketmaster will call locations near my hotel just in case I can’t get to Gandhi in the airport. :)

26. #26 John
    on Aug 24th, 2010 at 12:52 am

Hey Julie, I have one more question for you which I posted in the appropriate thread (Public transport in Mexico City: overall, thumbs up)…if you would be so kind…

27. #27 Liam
    on Sep 21st, 2010 at 7:48 am

Thanks Julie! I’ll try it out when I arrive in Mexico City airport on Friday week (the 1st)!

28. #28 Liam
    on Oct 19th, 2010 at 8:16 am

That worked perfectly Julie, thanks.

An interesting trick they used was, after they quoted 180 pesos to Polanca (perfect), they said they was a 20 minute wait for a car.

However, a van was immediately available so I paid the 80 pesos extra.

It was worth it after 17 hours travelling from Ireland. I was like a zombie!

Cheers,

Liam

29. #29 Mark Tisdale
    on Dec 15th, 2010 at 2:14 am

Awesome! Flying into Mexico City in less than two weeks and was trying to decide if it was worth paying to pay for a transfer into the city (Historic District) or just pick up an official tax in the airport. Sounds like I can deal with all that!

I’ve been to Mexico twice before but first time in Mexico City and have heard all the scary things that can happen so was feeling a bit intimidated!

Now I feel better about just paying for the tax at a stand in the airport.

Only question is any concern about not speaking any Spanish to mention?

30. #30 Lou
    on May 20th, 2011 at 8:45 pm

Hi – Does everyone but me know that you have to keep the immigration card you filled in when you arrived in Mexico with you in order to leave Mexico?
    If not, pay a fine?

on May 22nd, 2011 at 8:52 pm

Hey Lou, great point!! You are correct– that couldn’t be less clear during the immigration process. But yes! Keep your mitts on that card & avoid any drama as you try to leave!

32. #32 Banerjee
    on Feb 26th, 2012 at 10:56 am

Hi there,
    what an interesting forum!! we are planning to visit Cuba after a couple of weeks from now, and we will be transiting in Mexico city, how does the process work, do we have to roam around the airport or they will keep us in one place and we will not be allowed to leave from that area.

Thanks

33. #33 dfg
    on Jun 25th, 2012 at 9:52 pm

Thanks for the helpful info. Your link to the sitio taxis helped us find what we needed (un ejecutivo) faster than other sources. Cheers!

34. #34 Melinda
    on Jul 16th, 2012 at 8:07 pm

Hello – I found your comments very helpful. We have a different situation however. We fly into Mexico City from LAX. We have a 5 hour layover and then we board Iberia Airlines for Madrid. Do we have time to leave the security area? I assume we still do the immigration thing. Do we also re-check our luggage? Thank you very much.
    Melinda

35. #35 Melinda
    on Jul 16th, 2012 at 10:58 pm

Also -is it OK to put TSA locks on the suitcases? The ones with keys? But they are official ones. Thank you Melinda

36. #36 Ricardo
    on Aug 20th, 2012 at 9:23 am

Hi! Very informative site! Juat wanted to mention that when the aerotren is not running there is a shuttle bus from T2 to T1 and back agian. It costs 15 pesos, and you find it outside the southwest (left if you are facing the gate entrances) end of T2– just ask anyone in a uniform and they will direct you. You may have to wait a few minutes, but the bus is clean, there was no boarding pass or ticket requirement ( I was there to meet a friend @ night), and my driver was courteous and helpful.

37. #37 marcia
    on Aug 26th, 2013 at 7:39 pm

Situation: I plan on meeting my Mother at the Mexico City Airport on the same day, but I will arrive 5 hours earlier. Also, I fly into Terminal 1 in the early morning and she flies into Terminal 2 in the afternoon. I would like to meet up with her as soon as she gets off the plan in terminal 2. Is this possible? Is there a way for me to go thru Immigration, get my luggage then instead of going to Customs, take the Tren to Terminal 1? My Mother is elderly and I really want to meet her as soon as she gets off so I can navigate us to the Taxi Stand… thank you in advance for your advice/info. We leave on Aug. 30, 2013.

38. #38 Daryl
    on Nov 28th, 2013 at 11:41 pm

FYI, I flew into MEX last week and the Airtrain is currently down for maintenance so you will need to exit DOOR 6 and take a free bus from Terminal 1 to Terminal 2 (or vice versa). I believe the Airtrain is scheduled to be back in operation in January but forgot to check exactly when. I do know that it was down in November 2013 and I don’t believe it will be operational in early December (when we come back through)

39. #39 Mary
    on Jan 8th, 2014 at 9:27 am

Good information here but I am still unclear about a couple of things. In February, I will arrive at Terminal 1 and transfer to a connecting flight leaving from Terminal 2. Do I have to pick up my luggage and leave the secure area before transferring to Terminal 2? And…can I use Canadian or US funds in restaurants and shops in the airport or should I have pesos on hand? Thanks!

40. #40 Suzanna
    on Jan 31st, 2014 at 2:15 pm

Hi!

I live in Mexico City and I’ve had to get to a from the airport a few times, and for the most part have found the metro very convenient. If you just have a small amount of luggage (weekend bag, or a rucksack) then it’s great but as you said, with larger/multiple luggage items it would be best to get a taxi!

41. #41 Ronald
    on Mar 20th, 2014 at 10:48 am

FYI.. The red metro bus leaves both terminals, info in link “Metrobus”
    And for 30p plus 10p to buy a card you can load with credit and this goes a route where personally for me, my drop off at Palacio Bella Artes on Hidalgo, as well as pick back to airport. They also stop at metro stops, where persons can continue via metro. The red bus was fast, and convenient for staying in old quarter. Well worth using and modern.

42. #42 unsecured business loan
    on Sep 24th, 2014 at 9:49 pm

I think this is one of the most vital info for me. And i am
    glad reading your article. But should remark on some generl
    things, The website style is great, the articles is really
    excellent : D. Good job, cheers

My website unsecured business loan

43. #43 No2 Surge
    on Oct 31st, 2014 at 6:01 pm

What i do not realize is in fact how you are now not actually a
    lot more smartly-liked than you may be now. You are so intelligent.

You realize thus significantly when it comes to this topic, made me for my part
    believe it from a lot of varied angles. Its like women and men don’t seem to be fascinated unless it is
    one thing to do with Lady gaga! Your own stuffs great. Always take care of it up!

44. #44 Lilly
    on Nov 4th, 2014 at 9:51 am

Every weekend i used to go to see this site, for the
    reason that i want enjoyment, for the reason that this this website conations genuinely fastidious funny data too.

45. #45 網站優化服務
    on Nov 7th, 2014 at 1:39 pm

This is a very good tip especially to those new to
    the blogosphere. Short but very accurate info… Many thanks for sharing
    this one. A must read article!