Now who’s more dangerous: Mexico City vs. Omaha, Nebraska

I flew from Mexico City back to Omaha, Nebraska rather unexpectedly on Thursday. One might reasonably assume that Omaha (epitome of the good ol’ Midwest with a population of around 830,000+ in the Omaha/Council Bluffs metro area) would be vastly safer than Mexico City (capital of narco-landia with a population of 23,000,000+).

Imagine my surprise when one of the top stories on Omaha’s evening news Thursday night was, “Two Bodies Found Outside Zoo”. What?!?  The zoo in question is the famed Henry Doorly Zoo, “nationally renowned for its leadership in conversation [**often know as 'conservation' when spelled correctly] and research”, according to Wikipedia, and also “Nebraska’s #1 paid attendance attraction”.

A quick Google search for “Omaha bodies zoo” will turn up a variety of news reports, but I will award the Prize for Informed Interviewees to WOWT.com.

WOWT.com’s current updated version of the story titled “Bodies Found Outside Zoo Identified”, includes the following statements, which start off as facts related enough to the issue:

• The Omaha Police Homicide Unit is investigating the deaths of a man and woman whose bodies were found outside the Henry Doorly Zoo around 4 a.m. Thursday.
  • “Officers were in the area of 10th Street on patrol when they were flagged down by zoo personnel stating they had located two persons down to the side of the street,” said OPD Officer Jake Bettin.

Ok, I’m with you so far WOWT.com. Then continuing on, quotes include:

• “We’re just excited and ready to get in and have fun,” said Steven Boldridge, …”
  • “The kids are psyched….”
  • Boldridge noticed the crime scene tape and police cruisers in the area, but didn’t think much of it.
  • The discovery didn’t stop Mindy Gibbs from fulfilling a promise made to her son Parker. This was going to be a zoo day no matter what, but Gibbs does feel for the victims. “I think that’s sad. I mean why here, there are a lot of families that visit every day. We’ll see what happens.”

Huh. An Omaha.com article offered similar citizen commentary, including:

• Liz Cox of Omaha was among zoogoers who were rerouted to avoid the investigation scene. When her son asked about the detour, she kept her explanation short: parking problems. “That’s not what I’d explain to my 5-year-old,” she said. “He doesn’t need to know (about the bodies).”

True enough, Liz. Let’s get past the “Mommy what are those two elephants doing” hurdle first.

Admittedly I don’t really have a clear point here outside of shock/surprise, but nonetheless a few comments apropos Mexico City vs. Omaha:

1. Unless I have missed an article amongst the (to be fair) heavy stream of news coverage in DF, not even the narcos in Mexico are dumping bodies around kid-frequented ZOOS. For the love. What kind of jerk criminals are operating here in Omaha?
  2. Slightly fascinating how blasé the Omaha zoo-goers seem about the whole dead bodies/crime scene thing. I’m not saying one should assume the killers are lurking around the zoo while there are 50 cop cars swarming the area, but still, they seem surprisingly unconcerned.
  3. Perhaps this is a sign that Americans are growing less concerned about tourism near areas of, shall we say, recent incidents of distress? Maybe this will bode well for northern Mexico.

Needless to say, I will be watching back during my remaining time here & hoping that Omaha avoids landing on any State Dept Travel Advisory lists.

10 Comments on “Now who’s more dangerous: Mexico City vs. Omaha, Nebraska”

1. #1 Bea
    on Jul 23rd, 2010 at 4:12 pm

Wow!! you really put your own spin on this situation, didn’t you!! Do you honestly think you can compare the criminal activity in Omaha to Mexico City based on this one incident? Truly amazing!! You do have the right to voice your own opinion, however, even though it’s kind of weak! You might want to check out Wikipedia again to see if “the famed Henry Doorly Zoo is nationally renowned for its leadership in conversation and research” or CONSERVATION and research….big difference! Just sayin’…

on Jul 23rd, 2010 at 5:42 pm

Hi Bea, Valid catch on my 1AM spelling error– it has been duly noted. As I stated, indeed, I don’t really have a point. Having lived for two years in a country with near fever pitch constant crime coverage, I just found interesting the reactions of the populace in a city where it is certainly not the norm. And my surprise in seeing this as one of the first news items upon my return to Nebraska. Not sure what ’spin’ I’ve offered outside of that, but I appreciate your comments nonetheless!

3. #3 Barn
    on Jul 23rd, 2010 at 7:30 pm

Is Aunt Bea with the PR Department in Mayberry/Omaha?

4. #4 Andrea
    on Jul 24th, 2010 at 12:19 pm

Bea, really? Who cares about some spelling for Wiki, wiki is 100% accurate anyway for info. And the whole just of the original article is the numbness of the population to the situation. Think about it!

5. #5 Jesus Chairez
    on Jul 24th, 2010 at 2:43 pm

You write, ..”not even the narcos in Mexico are dumping bodies around kid-frequented ZOOS.” Maybe not “ZOOS” but plenty of elementary schools and even shoot outs around elementary schools. You must have missed those stories.

Liked you spin on the story: I guess to say, it is NOT safe anywhere anymore.

6. #6 Life in a hospital for 7 days: not as glamorous as Grey’s Anatomy depicts – Midwesterner in Mexico
    on Jul 29th, 2010 at 6:41 pm

[...] I alluded to in my last post, I’ve been back from Mexico in Nebraska for the last week. Unfortunately it hasn’t just [...]

7. #7 Elizabeth Davis
    on Jul 29th, 2010 at 8:48 pm

“The kids are psyched….”

The lack of social cues here reminds me of something from the onion.

8. #8 RUBEN
    on Jan 8th, 2011 at 11:08 am

Hi,i am from Mexico city and i was reading your story….well you cant compare the stuations,we are a failed state and your “system”in your country works…..here we dont even have the ” system “working lol.
    i lived in tampa 3 years and your country s beateful,,,and has plenty of laws……we dont even have that many laws…..maybe we do but are not applicated…you have violence in all the world…at least your prison is a real prison….here you buy guns,drugs,tvs,fridges,etc in prison or reclusorios as we call it…..yeah is sad but i need to tell the truth….saludos amigo.

on Jan 15th, 2011 at 4:53 pm

Hi Ruben, thanks for your note. Yes, my comparison was a bit in jest, but certainly both of our countries have their own challenges!

10. #10 nebraska attorney apps mid atlantic aaa insurance portal apps files site apps
    on Aug 7th, 2014 at 4:51 pm

Florida Attorney General Bill Mc – Cllum and attorneys general from Alabama, Colorado, Idaho,
    Louisiana, Michigan, Nebraska, Pennsylvania,
    Soyth Carolina, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, and Washington also plan to file
    a lawsuit to “protect the rights” of the Amerian people from the Senate health care reform bill.
    Keep iin mind, however, that you must practice patience when applying for these programs – makje sure that youur application is
    up-to-date and all the necessary attachments are included
    before you send it so that delays aren’t any longer than necessary.
    If you are being contacted by a debt collectrion agyency
    on a debt you believe may be statutorily time-barred, contact Smith – Marco P.