Life in a hospital for 7 days: not as glamorous as Grey’s Anatomy depicts

As I alluded to in my last post, I’ve been back from Mexico in Nebraska for the last week. Unfortunately it hasn’t just been all fun and games of monitoring crime in Omaha (though God knows it’s not for lack of news).

I’ve spent the several days at the University of Nebraska Medical Center here in Omaha, hanging out with my mom, Marcia. Marcia’s had a rough week, to say the least. After a couple months of having weird fevers/pneumonia/pains in her chest/zillions of tests, she came to UNMC for a biopsy to suss out what was going on with some suspicious lymph nodes in her chest. Just doing this biopsy involved collapsing one of her lungs, so it was no small task.

This lovely array of flowers & friendly animals certainly helped to speed Mom along the road to recovery!

To make a long story short, it turns out she has stage 3 squamous cell lung cancer. This was not the news we were hoping for, particularly since she has never smoked a cigarette in her life (p.s. God: not fair). But we are ready to wrestle it into submission!! And we are feeling optimistic– during the biopsy/surgery, they hacked out all of the evil cancery-bits that they observed. Of course, this included the two lower lobes of her right lung, some lymph nodes, and a little of the exterior of her esophagus… But like I have always said, two whole lungs are just taking up excess space that could better be used for storing things like jello. Or tapioca pudding (her current favorite item on the glamorous hospital food room service menu).

After a few days of silently wondering why everyone ignored my Dad's email with Mom's mailing address in the hospital, we received like 30 cards yesterday in one big lump. :) Looks like someone in the mailroom needs a stern talking-to....

The doctors indicated the final margins were all clear, meaning that all the visible cancerous areas are gone. The top remaining concern is whether there are any additional evil secret lymph nodes lurking around. So, the current thought process is some chemo/radiation action for around 3-4 months. Luckily Mom should be able to do this back in our hometown of Grand Island, which will be a lot more convenient than driving the 2.5 hours to Omaha on a regular basis. She’ll wait another 3-4 weeks to start, however, because they want her to be healed up & strengthened from the super-invasive surgery as much as possible. She’s making great progress– down to one chest drainage tube & no IVs as of today!

Needless to say, we’ve been looking for humor wherever we can while hanging around the hospital. Here are my personal favorites thus far:

I saw this sign the day I arrived. I don't know exactly what happens at this event, but I am ok with not being invited.

Given my previous post, I was relieved to see that guns are *not allowed* in the hospital.

I have also been excited about the chance to work on my medical Spanish. (I brought my Dad to the "Bodies Revealed" exhibit in Mexico City the other week, where only upon arriving did it strike me how I should have reviewed body part names in Spanish before attending...)

I brought a wee Frida Kahlo mirror as a gift for mom, largely because it was one of the few gift-like things I had lying around the house when I decided to fly back to Nebraska the next morning. :)

The Frida mirror has come in handy as a tool for Mom to visually stalk her telemetry monitor, which the nurses turned away to try & get her to stop obsessing over the stats. (typical math teacher)

We were quite jealous of Mom's elegant meal options. She simply *insists* on sparkling laxatives, never still.

We have been pleasantly surprised by the tasty ethnic dining options around UNMC in Omaha-- Mother India and Gerda's German Restaurant were both awesome. I saw this Aug-toberfest announcement @ Gerda's and had to laugh at the 6:45-7:15PM timeline for dinner shown on the flyer. 30 minutes for dinner?? That would *NEVER* fly in Mexico!! :)

Also falling into the "panicked last-minute gift" category was this ear-of-corn thong. The corn thong seemed like an appropriate solution for Nebraskans, and a good way to spice things up once Mom & Dad get back home. ;) My mother & I have been having an ongoing battle of me putting it on display & her hiding it from visiting surgeons each day.

I finally convinced my dad to model the corn thong, but he decided to go with a "Uni-corn" look... My mom had to hide her face in shame behind her new heart pillow. :)

Probably the scariest part of the week was when an elderly female clown stopped by. Luckily, Mom feigned sleep so the clown didn't stay to chat. She just dropped off this sticker instead. I felt like the clown might have missed the memo on which floor was pediatrics...

Marcia is hoping to escape the hospital this Saturday if she can get rid of this chest tube tomorrow.  If any readers are so inspired– any cards, witty commentary, and/or photos of cute dogs (Mom’s favorite) are welcomed & appreciated!! (Let me know if you need an address!) Mom will have a challenging few months ahead, but we have total confidence that she will get through it with the support of all our amazing friends & family.  Thanks to everyone for all thoughts & prayers sent our way. For more info or to leave a message for Marcia directly, visit http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/marciacarmann.

20 Comments on “Life in a hospital for 7 days: not as glamorous as Grey’s Anatomy depicts”

1. #1 Chunk
    on Jul 29th, 2010 at 7:48 pm

I’ve been following your blog for at least a year and love it. I think this is the sevond time I’ve commented. I love your sense of humor…even with your mom in the hospital.

If she has the same type of optimism that you have, she’ll be fine.

By the way, I love the Midwest too. More specifically, Wisconsin.

Go Marcia!

2. #2 Elizabeth Davis
    on Jul 29th, 2010 at 8:38 pm

Hi Jules,

I’m really sorry to hear about your mom. If you have a moment, shoot her addy my way (I’m assuming she’ll be heading home soon); I’d like to send a card her way.

I’ll be thinking of her and your family. Lots of positive thoughts….

Liz

3. #3 Ty
    on Jul 29th, 2010 at 8:43 pm

Yeah, What Chunk said x 2. I really enjoy your blog. My wife and I are moving to Mexico at the end of the year.
    Praying for your Mom and family and with your attitude, I know things will be ok.

4. #4 Greg
    on Jul 29th, 2010 at 8:44 pm

Weird, the corn appears uncircumcised…er…unhusked. Sorry to hear of the news. Hopefully Marcia recovers beautifully and painlessly. Take care of each other!

5. #5 GW&Laura
    on Jul 29th, 2010 at 8:46 pm

Best wishes for Marcia’s quick recovery!

George and Laura

6. #6 joy
    on Jul 29th, 2010 at 10:49 pm

I can’t believe your Dad wore that thong thing AND allowed a photo. I think your family needs its own TV show already. :-)

I will be sending all the good vibes I can to Nebraska. (And let me know if you need any cute dog photos. I have a few….thousand.)

7. #7 Brendan
    on Jul 30th, 2010 at 7:54 am

All the best to you and your mom! We’ll be keeping you guys in our thoughts.

8. #8 Megan Drayton
    on Jul 30th, 2010 at 8:33 am

I’m so sorry to hear about this news. Hope your mom continues to do well. Thinking of you all.

(And love the thong)

9. #9 Alice
    on Jul 30th, 2010 at 10:33 am

Thanks for the update — all the best to your mom!!

Did you find that corn thong in the hospital gift shop? :)

on Jul 30th, 2010 at 4:39 pm

Thanks to all for your comments and support!! Much appreciated!!! :)
    Alice– that thong came from Morelia in Michoacan during the Christmas-time underwear festival that seems to happen each year throughout Mexico. In addition to the lucky red & yellow undies, they had a wide assortment of these– bananas, elephants, snakes, giraffes, chickens, you name it. We bought like 15 to store up for bachelor/bachelorette party gifts. (or hospital gifts, obviously). :)

11. #11 Carolina
    on Jul 30th, 2010 at 9:07 pm

Que bueno tener noticias y ver que lo animos estan bien, eso es lo mas importante de todo. Ahora a seguir adelante que entre todos van a espantar cualquier enfermedad.
    Muchisimos carinos a tu mama y a todos por alla,
    Carolina

12. #12 Cyndi
    on Jul 30th, 2010 at 11:51 pm

Julie – I am so incredibly sorry to hear your mom is going through this. I am sending strong positive vibes your way and praying for you all!

13. #13 Alice
    on Aug 2nd, 2010 at 1:05 pm

Underwear festival?!?! As for those 15 thongs, if Customs and Immigration goes through your belongings on the move back, they’re going to think you and John are the two raunchiest expats/Embassy workers they’ve ever encountered. :)

14. #14 卷帘门机
    on Sep 10th, 2014 at 12:38 am

联系人:历晓旭 联系方式:15803271507 QQ:2895211374

鲜榨橙汁

压瓦机设备
    随时间茂盛

,压瓦机设备;

,随时间茂盛;

1. 橙子去皮去筋切小块。鲜榨橙汁的做法第2步 2. 将橙子倒入料理机内,加适量温开水。(橙子与水比例1:1)鲜榨橙汁的做法第3步 3. 搅拌成汁即可,压瓦机|C型钢机|止水钢板机|角驰压瓦机|彩钢压瓦机生产设备_红旗数控全自动压瓦机械厂。鲜榨橙汁的做法第4步 4. 橙子去皮去筋切小块 ,成长路上的叶子;倒入杯中即可享用。(也可过滤掉果渣)

15. #15 jewelry design
    on Sep 20th, 2014 at 2:14 am

The political stability and e jewelry model conomic growth that enabled the Renaissance in Europe jewellery design also led to a new age in pearls. Art and culture were no longer so strictly controlled by the church and pearls once again became a favourite fashion lu JEWELRY CAD xury. Venice and Genoa were famed for their pearl markets.

16. #16 塑料角码
    on Sep 22nd, 2014 at 12:15 am

橱柜五金营销的立足点还是在于消费者的需求,将人性化融入企业的品牌文化中也将提 五金 升产品的吸引力。原创设计要贴近客户、贴近需求、贴近市场才是硬道理。

贴近客户

橱柜在同质化的催生之下,消 橱柜铝箔纸 费者对品质和个性的追求越来越高。产品终究是要在使用中才能体现出其真正的价值,同种产品是好是坏也因人而异。因此,产品的设计使用,需充分站在具体使用者的角度,尽可能地考虑细节,不论是产品的造型、抽屉的数量大小、还是的位置设置,甚至是橱柜设计对使用者身体健康的影响等因素都要考虑在内,才能充分提升消费者的使用感受。

贴近需求

近年来环保健康、设计人性化、厨电智能化的整体厨房越来越受到市场的

17. #17 定制珠宝
    on Oct 13th, 2014 at 10:22 am

爱为你珠宝有限公司作为一家集设计、生产、销售及售后服务于一体的专业珠宝企业,旗下"AIF 定制珠宝 FILY,爱为你"为国内珠宝品牌。

“十年了,你还 定制珠宝 爱我吗?”是”AIFFILY,爱为你”珠宝品牌的宣传语,倡导”结婚十年婚庆纪念珠宝",以提高婚姻幸福度为使命。设计团队以韩国、意大利、中国设计师为核心。设计风格追求个性至上,创意至上,以”时尚系列、个性张扬系列、高贵系列&rdquo,定制珠宝;为主。

日常佩戴

您的珠宝是精细制品,需要得到细致的保养与呵护。为了使

18. #18 新闻频道
    on Oct 14th, 2014 at 12:42 pm

MELITA是新西兰当地历史悠久的一家养蜂式家族企业,迄今为止已传承近60年。公司创始人坚信麦卢卡蜂蜜是上帝赐给人类的礼物,决心保持麦卢卡蜂蜜最原始的状态,实行纯天然养蜂,100%人工采集,纯物理分离,杜绝现代工业的污染。这样的传统蜂蜜制作方式经历了整整四代人延续至今,正是这份始终如一的坚守更加凸显了MELITA的稀有和珍贵。

麦卢卡蜂蜜是蜂蜜中的贵族

麦卢卡蜂蜜【Manuka Honey】产于新西兰,新西兰位于太平洋深处,远离现代工业污染,森林植被茂密,保持了原始的自然环境,被称为全球最后一块绿色”净土”。千百年来,这里生长着一种叫麦卢卡的茶树,每到夏季

19. #19 橱柜铝箔纸
    on Oct 25th, 2014 at 2:49 am

现代人在家具消费上更注重衣柜的 液压铰链十大品牌 设计,以及衣柜的选材用料,根本没有花心思在五金配件上。其实五金配件在衣柜中 五金 ,用户的使用体验感是直接挂钩的。

衣柜五金配件分类

,液压铰链十大品牌; 在整个衣柜的组架中,包含的五金配件包括:三合一连接件、合叶铰链滑轨类(如柜门铰链)、装饰拉手类、装饰锁具类(如抽屉锁)、挂衣杆、裤架等。五金件的价格 今得利五金 、档次与寿命是制约衣柜身价的关键因素,国外一些高档橱柜、衣柜五金件的价格,已接近或超过衣柜本身的价格。好的五金件,可以保证衣柜的使用寿命,而劣质五金件会使柜门开启不灵活,推不动、关不严,给消费者带来烦恼与不便。

看五

20. #20 新闻频道
    on Nov 14th, 2014 at 10:31 am

Melita蜂蜜进入中国后积极参与中国的高端体育项目,2014年成为华东房车赛-天马论驾中FGTR-DGR车队指定营养品,为赛车手提供日常所需的必要能量。由于汽车赛事的激烈,在比赛中能够持续稳定发挥是非常关键的,而Melita蜂蜜的提供的营养补充,为赛车运动员在日常训练以外带来了更多的体能保障。

在刚刚结束的第二十五届天马论驾中,由拥有56年品牌历史的新西兰麦卢卡蜂蜜品牌Melita蜂蜜所赞助的FGTR-DGR车队获得了C组冠军的成绩。本站由于POLO杯赛年度总冠军郭文锋的参赛,C组的比赛显得格外的激烈。FGTR-DGR车队谢冰在本站取得发车杆位,紧随其后