Life in a hospital for 7 days: not as glamorous as Grey’s Anatomy depicts

As I alluded to in my last post, I’ve been back from Mexico in Nebraska for the last week. Unfortunately it hasn’t just been all fun and games of monitoring crime in Omaha (though God knows it’s not for lack of news).

I’ve spent the several days at the University of Nebraska Medical Center here in Omaha, hanging out with my mom, Marcia. Marcia’s had a rough week, to say the least. After a couple months of having weird fevers/pneumonia/pains in her chest/zillions of tests, she came to UNMC for a biopsy to suss out what was going on with some suspicious lymph nodes in her chest. Just doing this biopsy involved collapsing one of her lungs, so it was no small task.

This lovely array of flowers & friendly animals certainly helped to speed Mom along the road to recovery!

To make a long story short, it turns out she has stage 3 squamous cell lung cancer. This was not the news we were hoping for, particularly since she has never smoked a cigarette in her life (p.s. God: not fair). But we are ready to wrestle it into submission!! And we are feeling optimistic– during the biopsy/surgery, they hacked out all of the evil cancery-bits that they observed. Of course, this included the two lower lobes of her right lung, some lymph nodes, and a little of the exterior of her esophagus… But like I have always said, two whole lungs are just taking up excess space that could better be used for storing things like jello. Or tapioca pudding (her current favorite item on the glamorous hospital food room service menu).

After a few days of silently wondering why everyone ignored my Dad's email with Mom's mailing address in the hospital, we received like 30 cards yesterday in one big lump. :) Looks like someone in the mailroom needs a stern talking-to....

The doctors indicated the final margins were all clear, meaning that all the visible cancerous areas are gone. The top remaining concern is whether there are any additional evil secret lymph nodes lurking around. So, the current thought process is some chemo/radiation action for around 3-4 months. Luckily Mom should be able to do this back in our hometown of Grand Island, which will be a lot more convenient than driving the 2.5 hours to Omaha on a regular basis. She’ll wait another 3-4 weeks to start, however, because they want her to be healed up & strengthened from the super-invasive surgery as much as possible. She’s making great progress– down to one chest drainage tube & no IVs as of today!

Needless to say, we’ve been looking for humor wherever we can while hanging around the hospital. Here are my personal favorites thus far:

I saw this sign the day I arrived. I don't know exactly what happens at this event, but I am ok with not being invited.

Given my previous post, I was relieved to see that guns are *not allowed* in the hospital.

I have also been excited about the chance to work on my medical Spanish. (I brought my Dad to the "Bodies Revealed" exhibit in Mexico City the other week, where only upon arriving did it strike me how I should have reviewed body part names in Spanish before attending...)

I brought a wee Frida Kahlo mirror as a gift for mom, largely because it was one of the few gift-like things I had lying around the house when I decided to fly back to Nebraska the next morning. :)

The Frida mirror has come in handy as a tool for Mom to visually stalk her telemetry monitor, which the nurses turned away to try & get her to stop obsessing over the stats. (typical math teacher)

We were quite jealous of Mom's elegant meal options. She simply *insists* on sparkling laxatives, never still.

We have been pleasantly surprised by the tasty ethnic dining options around UNMC in Omaha-- Mother India and Gerda's German Restaurant were both awesome. I saw this Aug-toberfest announcement @ Gerda's and had to laugh at the 6:45-7:15PM timeline for dinner shown on the flyer. 30 minutes for dinner?? That would *NEVER* fly in Mexico!! :)

Also falling into the "panicked last-minute gift" category was this ear-of-corn thong. The corn thong seemed like an appropriate solution for Nebraskans, and a good way to spice things up once Mom & Dad get back home. ;) My mother & I have been having an ongoing battle of me putting it on display & her hiding it from visiting surgeons each day.

I finally convinced my dad to model the corn thong, but he decided to go with a "Uni-corn" look... My mom had to hide her face in shame behind her new heart pillow. :)

Probably the scariest part of the week was when an elderly female clown stopped by. Luckily, Mom feigned sleep so the clown didn't stay to chat. She just dropped off this sticker instead. I felt like the clown might have missed the memo on which floor was pediatrics...

Marcia is hoping to escape the hospital this Saturday if she can get rid of this chest tube tomorrow.  If any readers are so inspired– any cards, witty commentary, and/or photos of cute dogs (Mom’s favorite) are welcomed & appreciated!! (Let me know if you need an address!) Mom will have a challenging few months ahead, but we have total confidence that she will get through it with the support of all our amazing friends & family.  Thanks to everyone for all thoughts & prayers sent our way. For more info or to leave a message for Marcia directly, visit http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/marciacarmann.

22 Comments on “Life in a hospital for 7 days: not as glamorous as Grey’s Anatomy depicts”

1. #1 Chunk
    on Jul 29th, 2010 at 7:48 pm

I’ve been following your blog for at least a year and love it. I think this is the sevond time I’ve commented. I love your sense of humor…even with your mom in the hospital.

If she has the same type of optimism that you have, she’ll be fine.

By the way, I love the Midwest too. More specifically, Wisconsin.

Go Marcia!

2. #2 Elizabeth Davis
    on Jul 29th, 2010 at 8:38 pm

Hi Jules,

I’m really sorry to hear about your mom. If you have a moment, shoot her addy my way (I’m assuming she’ll be heading home soon); I’d like to send a card her way.

I’ll be thinking of her and your family. Lots of positive thoughts….

Liz

3. #3 Ty
    on Jul 29th, 2010 at 8:43 pm

Yeah, What Chunk said x 2. I really enjoy your blog. My wife and I are moving to Mexico at the end of the year.
    Praying for your Mom and family and with your attitude, I know things will be ok.

4. #4 Greg
    on Jul 29th, 2010 at 8:44 pm

Weird, the corn appears uncircumcised…er…unhusked. Sorry to hear of the news. Hopefully Marcia recovers beautifully and painlessly. Take care of each other!

5. #5 GW&Laura
    on Jul 29th, 2010 at 8:46 pm

Best wishes for Marcia’s quick recovery!

George and Laura

6. #6 joy
    on Jul 29th, 2010 at 10:49 pm

I can’t believe your Dad wore that thong thing AND allowed a photo. I think your family needs its own TV show already. :-)

I will be sending all the good vibes I can to Nebraska. (And let me know if you need any cute dog photos. I have a few….thousand.)

7. #7 Brendan
    on Jul 30th, 2010 at 7:54 am

All the best to you and your mom! We’ll be keeping you guys in our thoughts.

8. #8 Megan Drayton
    on Jul 30th, 2010 at 8:33 am

I’m so sorry to hear about this news. Hope your mom continues to do well. Thinking of you all.

(And love the thong)

9. #9 Alice
    on Jul 30th, 2010 at 10:33 am

Thanks for the update — all the best to your mom!!

Did you find that corn thong in the hospital gift shop? :)

on Jul 30th, 2010 at 4:39 pm

Thanks to all for your comments and support!! Much appreciated!!! :)
    Alice– that thong came from Morelia in Michoacan during the Christmas-time underwear festival that seems to happen each year throughout Mexico. In addition to the lucky red & yellow undies, they had a wide assortment of these– bananas, elephants, snakes, giraffes, chickens, you name it. We bought like 15 to store up for bachelor/bachelorette party gifts. (or hospital gifts, obviously). :)

11. #11 Carolina
    on Jul 30th, 2010 at 9:07 pm

Que bueno tener noticias y ver que lo animos estan bien, eso es lo mas importante de todo. Ahora a seguir adelante que entre todos van a espantar cualquier enfermedad.
    Muchisimos carinos a tu mama y a todos por alla,
    Carolina

12. #12 Cyndi
    on Jul 30th, 2010 at 11:51 pm

Julie – I am so incredibly sorry to hear your mom is going through this. I am sending strong positive vibes your way and praying for you all!

13. #13 Alice
    on Aug 2nd, 2010 at 1:05 pm

Underwear festival?!?! As for those 15 thongs, if Customs and Immigration goes through your belongings on the move back, they’re going to think you and John are the two raunchiest expats/Embassy workers they’ve ever encountered. :)

14. #14 新闻频道
    on Dec 9th, 2014 at 3:48 am

早在1959年,Leon Janson就载着的第一批蜜蜂到了霍克海湾,刚开始,Leon在他的拖车上仅带了四个蜂箱,两个放在脚下,另外两个车后座 http://www.melitahoney.com.cn 上。当时的他并不知道这个小小的开端会发展成一个跨越几代人的家族企业,不知道这个公司在50多年之后将最高品质的麦卢卡蜂蜜分销到世界各地。如今,Leon的外孙Hamish监管着整个养蜂的运作,秉持着热诚、自豪和尊重的理念并延续其家族的传统。

至今为止,MELITA蜂蜜在新西兰当地已有近六十年的历史,专职采集与生产麦卢卡蜂蜜传,公司创始人Leon Janson认为蜂蜜是

15. #15 hollister Polska Galeria
    on Jan 2nd, 2015 at 8:40 am

tir, er det umulig si h parajumpers butikk vordan disse flelsene i en slik kort periode ned.Denne unge mannen ny her north face outlet Wang Shuo s ogs denne fyren kunne ikke hjelpe,parajumpers butikk, men be for dem. Tang Lin Huai forsegle en skjnt alle erkjente Xiaohua, men hun gjorde det ikke,north face outlet, og Tommy Hilfiger online ingen hadde samme

16. #16 hollister stock
    on Jan 3rd, 2015 at 9:48 am

ge in the West are not looking to touch the mind,abercrombie καταστηματα, I do n abercrombie καταστηματα ot know is that th hollister greece is singing dismiss. Liu Qingfeng cold clouds chase these two individuals enthusiasm is too weird,hollister greece, rightElders,Abercrombie Fitch barcelona, this years participants have a great good,ab Abercrombie Fitch barcelona e

17. #17 网络私服游戏一条龙3t6v6w
    on Jan 8th, 2015 at 1:51 am

完美世界国际经典服务 传奇世界私服开服一条龙服务 端神泣S服端英雄王座travia服务端奇侠XIAH服务端

丝路传说SilkRoadOnlinev欧亚大陆S服务端魔力宝贝十转变态怀旧S服务端

蜀门 http://www.n7ss.com 服务端绿色征途服务端linux-win版圣者注册怀旧世外桃源私服服务端

卧龙吟问仙服务端劲舞团SF服务端醉西游服务端刀剑S服务端机战私服务端

英雄王座ol服务端飞马翅膀工会战国战韩国大陆版幻灵游侠 魔兽私服开区一条龙服务 服务端红月S端

征途服务端机战魔兵变服务端RF64位核战风暴台湾服务端魔力宝贝服务端

浪漫Q糖服务端劲舞团新服务端红月魔王S版服务端跑跑卡丁车私服服务端

冒险岛100%汉化服务端征服65AC私服服

18. #18 盐城美菱冰箱充氟
    on Jan 14th, 2015 at 2:20 am

总之 盐城西门子冰箱充氟 ,断路法是检修过 家电维修(1) 程中常用的方法,类似的故障都可采用此法查找。需要注意,有些电路是不能使用断路法来检修的,如 OTL 或 OCL 电路的输出对管两基极间的偏置电路,一旦断开,会使电流过大而烧坏输出管;电视机的行逆程电容也是绝对禁止断路试验的,否则会使阳极电压过高击穿行输出级元件。因此初学者应有针对性地正确应 家电维修(1) 用,盐城西门子冰箱充氟。

维修方法之断路法 断路法就是人为地把电路中的某一支路或某个元器件的某条引脚焊开来查找故障的方法,有时又称开路法。它是一种快速缩小故障范围的有效方法,家电维修(1)。

为了能够迅速、准确地判断故障部位,可把行输出级

19. #19 米人车贷
    on Jan 19th, 2015 at 9:03 pm

米人微贷

是金子总会发光,淘金者已经准备好了,你还在等什么?快来证明自己吧!米人金融,诚招岗位!

人才是企业的第一财富, 米人微贷 是企 米人金融 业永续发展的基石

在此刻,我们期待与您共同奋斗!

我们愿意尽最大的努力,在这片充满竞争力与想象力的普惠金融领域中,为满腹才华的你,为朝气蓬勃的你,为有志亲身参与的你提供最具吸引力的薪酬和一个广阔的舞台!

如果您足够自信,如果您满怀激情,如果您充满干劲,却苦于找不 贷款 到机会,苦于遇不到伯乐,但是,您看到了这里,那就请您忘却您的苦恼,加入我们这个大舞台,尽情施展您的才华,携手共创辉煌吧。

加入米人,成为开拓普惠金融领域独特的力量!

20. #20 Woolrich 2011
    on Jan 27th, 2015 at 3:37 pm

Carried Out By The Older Players. Hagman And Duffy Are Periodically Joi Woolrich Outlet Barberino ned By Linda Gray As J.R.’s Ex Or Kay Prezzi Woolrich (but With Kay’s Gumbo)
    While Annie Is A Whirlwind Who Speaks Before She Engages Her Brain. Banks Is Aware Of The Tension Between Them And Tries To Dissipate It Referring To Countries Like G Colori Woolrich Parka r

21. #21 贷款
    on Feb 4th, 2015 at 9:44 pm

,米人微贷; 有消息称,今年前两月银行新增不良贷款已逾600亿元,不良贷款压力 米人微贷 凸显。记者调查了 贷款 解得知,目前广州、佛山地区银行不良贷款增加,监管层正在排查相关情况,其中,某银行一家支行不良贷款率甚至超过了50%。

银行进入二季度以来,全线收紧了贷款审批和发放,有银行已完全不受理信用贷款,抵押贷款获批额度也有所降低,小额贷款,各家银行对贷款的审批和门槛都进入了”最严”时期。

有业内人士向媒体透露称,今年一季度 信用贷款 ,不良贷款也出现井喷的现象,仅今年前两个月,新增不良贷款已逾600亿元。

受相关不良贷款增加的影响,银行全线收紧贷款审批发放。有业内人士此前透

22. #22 成都美发店装修
    on Feb 6th, 2015 at 4:42 am

成都美发店装修公司

成都美发 成都美发店装修公司 店空间设计 现代风格装修样板间就是这样潮流
    我们始终都在说 成都美发店装修施工,无论什么时候都要追随潮流的步调 成都美发店装修施工公司,装修也 成都美发店空间设计 是一样 成都美发店装修施工,假如我们不理解怎样装修自己的房子 成都美发店装修设计公司,我们能够通过网上搜寻一些比较好的现代风格装修样板间进行查看 成都美发店装修,我们能够通过设计者对于空间的布局跟装潢品的取舍 成都美发店设计,更好的装修我们自己的屋子 成都美发店设计公司。
    古代作风装修样板间怎么 成都美发店装修施工 省钱