Cognitive dissonance: sexy, gourmet hot dogs

While watching television last night in Mexico City, we saw one commercial that really stood out– in a bad way. It ran twice in an hour.  The first time, we debated whether Saturday Night Live producers had somehow snuck a fake, joke commercial into Cablevisión’s Mexico programming. The second time, we felt slightly nauseous.

Decide for yourself, readers. Zwan salchichas de pavo (“turkey sausages”): are these worthy of an advertisement overlaid with soothing, classical music, while little nubbins of dirty hot dogs cascade through the air? Have you ever seen a woman eat a fork-full of hot dog that sensually? How realistic is that, anyway? Can you even close an omelet when such large chunks of hot dog are jammed inside it??

credit for ZWAN Salchicha from claudia arana on Vimeo.

Thanks a lot, Zwan, you and your zero-fat-added turkey sausages. Now I will spend our last few weeks in Mexico living with the fear that we might end up at a dinner where the host will have been sufficiently swayed by this advertising to think that it is socially acceptable to serve hot dogs anywhere besides a BBQ attended by young children. Especially hot dog nubbins. Blek. :)

9 Comments on “Cognitive dissonance: sexy, gourmet hot dogs”

1. #1 ruth alegria
    on Aug 19th, 2010 at 9:39 am

Julie, have you been that lucky that you haven’t been served weiner’s wrapped in puff pastry as an hor d’oeuvre yet?
    And you stand there as the hostess says, “Son lo Mejor!”…….

on Aug 19th, 2010 at 10:05 am

Ruth- ha! To be fair, puff pastry makes everything better ;) In Nebraska they are known as “pigs in a blanket”, which at least puts them in their place as “definitively not gourmet food”. Here they seem to try and put out a “fancy” vibe, which is tough to pull off… :)

3. #3 Mel
    on Aug 19th, 2010 at 2:34 pm

I’m a little embarrassed to say that I bought “chicken sausage” for myself yesterday at Costco. But since they have apple and gouda inside, is it at least slightly more acceptable?

on Aug 19th, 2010 at 3:23 pm

Melanie- Absolutely! I know the type of sausages of which you speak, and those are actual tasty sausages. These things are simply dirty HOT DOGS dressed up with some lipstick. ;) [insert lipstick-on-a-pig joke here]

5. #5 John
    on Aug 19th, 2010 at 5:41 pm

Two things – 1st: these are not Hebrew National, or other reputably delicious all-beef (or other) dogs…these babies are probably half a step up from “FUD” brand, which is nasty.

2nd: To echo Ruth’s comment, I have on more than one occasion found hotdog “pepporoni” on my pizza in Mexico, which is just wrong.

6. #6 Mary C
    on Aug 21st, 2010 at 11:47 am

Trouble is, most hotdogs I have tasted here in Mexico are actually bologna dogs. I’ve ordered sausage and eggs and gotten cut up bologna dogs instead, and yes, pizza with bologna dogs and, to complete the insult, the pizza came with catsup as a condiment. Bleh.

7. #7 Sirena
    on Sep 10th, 2010 at 1:32 pm

These are little turkey Vienna sausages, right :-) ? Totally an acceptable hors d’oeuvre in my beloved Mex :-) So cute. And, thinly sliced hot dog with scrambled eggs is a Mex classic and on many a restaurant menu – and it’s actually delicious! The Mexican hot dog (sonora style dog) is even gaining hipster cult status in the US LOL! I saw a “recipe” the other day for one with pineapple, mango, melted cheese, jalapenos, and onion :-) Imagine that on a toothpick with a teeny Zwan weiner at your next cocktail party!

8. #8 Laura
    on Sep 14th, 2010 at 4:12 pm

I honestly don’t know what to say after watching that commercial.

9. #9 Cheryl Arredondo
    on Dec 17th, 2010 at 1:19 pm

I thought it was just me! Hot dogs in Mexico are horrible! I’ve tried every brand available at the bodega and they’re like an insult to a good old, pork, full of nitrates, delicious American hot dog.