Mezcalerias vs. Home Depot on a Friday night…

I hope to do a more reflective “my time in Mexico & how things are different here, etc. etc.” post in the near future. But for the moment, I wanted to share a snippet that really sums it up for me personally:

Average Friday Night in Mexico City:

• get online
  • find address for hip new mezcalería/taquería/trendy bar/tasty restaurant in Condesa/Roma dripping with hipsters
  • gather together with MBA/Embassy/blogger/other random friends
  • head out for fun night
  • think to self, “This is great; I can’t believe we get to live here for two years.”

My Friday Night Tonight in Arlington, Virginia:

• get online
  • find hours of operation for Home Depot
  • gather together my documentation for the lamp/faucet/towel rack/toilet paper holder I special ordered
  • head to Home Depot
  • think to self, “This is great, I can’t believe Home Depot is open until 10PM on a Friday.”

*sigh*

I’m not necessarily saying our lives are duller here, but let’s just say that finding this toilet on the street in DC was pretty much the wackiest photo opp I’ve had in the last month.

A toilet on the sidewalk probably wouldn't even merit a second glance in DF. :)

But I do have hope! I had my first street tacos last week from District Taco’s cart set up in our Ballston neighborhood; they were solid, with tasty salsa verde. We discovered a restaurant/bar that sells mezcal (albeit for $14 a shot). I went to a craft show & found blugrn design, who sells paper products with lucha libre imagery (two of my favorite things). I’ve been practicing my Spanish with the guys from Bolivia who’ve been helping us with some home improvements. We haven’t moved back into our townhouse yet, but once we do, I think we’ll organize a belated posada to get our social lives moving again. And of course, my job hunt continues (any hot DC-area leads are welcome!). :)

So we’re making progress. Next on our list? Checking out whether the Washington Post food critic is a reputable source for advice on authentic Mexican tacos

8 Comments on “Mezcalerias vs. Home Depot on a Friday night…”

1. #1 Jenny
    on Dec 11th, 2010 at 12:22 am

I especially love the truth in the photo caption re: the non-excitement that a toilet on the street might elicit here. Oh, how we miss you!

2. #2 Sergio
    on Dec 11th, 2010 at 6:09 am

A toilet on the sidewalk would actually be a welcome site in many parts of DF.

3. #3 Jose
    on Dec 11th, 2010 at 5:25 pm

VA is so dull even the airport is name DULLes! *bada boom ching!*

What kind of work you looking for in VA? Maybe I knowa guy.

4. #4 Ben
    on Dec 12th, 2010 at 5:02 pm

Stumbled upon this blog looking for Lucha Libre inspiration – really loved the post from last year’s convention.

Anyway, I lived in DC for a few years – the best tacos in proper DF style you will find are at Super Taco & Bakery on Columbia just east of 18th.- you can also go there for your decorated cake needs. Pica Taco is ok too, and they have a few locations (maybe even one in NOVA, not sure). Alternatively, you could develop a taste for pupusas and have them anywhere.

Oh and you can probably get cheaper mezcal in the dives on Mt. Pleasant St., but no promises.

5. #5 Joan
    on Dec 17th, 2010 at 9:00 pm

Wow–Rudolph had a red nose, but that guy has a red tail! He could guide Santa’s sleigh.

6. #6 Shelly
    on Jan 7th, 2011 at 10:15 pm

I love Tom (Wash Post food critic)! He answered a question for me when he did a postcard/write up from DF. Keep track of any good places you find so we can try them whenever we get back to DC. :)

on Jan 15th, 2011 at 5:01 pm

Thanks to all for the authentic taco tips; we will definitely go check them out!! Super Taco & Bakery seems to be like the winner, and mezcal on Mt. Pleasant is an EXCELLENT thought as well! Will advise if we find any winners as determined by our taste buds…

8. #8 BK
    on Jul 16th, 2011 at 5:30 am

Two things:

1. You need to check our Truckeroo. It’s an “organized” (in the loosest sense of the word) event where all of the food trucks from around DC come together and you can try them all in one stop. (Avoid the pie truck, it was exceptionally disappointing, but the goat cheese mac’n cheese from the mac’n'cheese truck (go figure) it quite tasty!

2. I’m traveling down to DF in a couple of weeks for 6 months. What shouldn’t I miss while I am down there? I’m scouring your blog, but what’s the best of the best?