Mexican Decor: more is more

I had an affinity for Mexican-themed decor at an early age, judging by this clay taco I just unearthed from my box of “Julie’s Elementary/Junior High School Stuff”.

One may wonder why I did not pursue my indisputable, God-given artistic talents instead of silly engineering.

For anyone wondering– no, this is not a rabbit poo taco. Those small brown pellets are obviously ground beef, accompanied by orange shredded cheese, thin pieces of green lettuce, and hearty cubes of tomatoes. (Please note that I was also way ahead of the curve on the whole “stand-n-stuff” taco shell concept.)

One might think that with this clay taco, the Mexican decor quota has been filled for our townhouse. Clearly you don’t have a sense of my enthusiasm for a good theme. Ever since John shot down my idea of a meat-themed bathroom a few years back, I have been yearning for some other way to liven up at least one of the four bathrooms we have in our townhouse. (As they say– rich in bathrooms, poor in square footage.) His resolve seemed to falter upon our return from Mexico City as we tried to distribute all our new acquisitions throughout our distinctly non-latino-feel home, and I somehow managed to convince him that a lucha libre-themed bathroom was a good idea. (He really brought it on himself by choosing a rust-orange Earthen Jug paint color for the half bath that simply screamed, “Transport me to Mexico!!”)

Before John could reflect any further, up went the plaster lucha heads & the Wrestle Pets:

Who doesn't like the feeling of being watched while you're using the bathroom?

And the lucha mirror:

"There are men who fight."

And the agave plant that even I can’t kill:

This agave is simply thriving in our half bathroom. The lack of sunlight does not appear to have bothered it.

I know, you are silently judging me right now. But let he who does not have a fish or nautical-themed bathroom cast the first stone. :)

I will, however, admit to being a bit overdue in taking down our “Back from Mexico” celebratory decor, but I’ve rather enjoyed the feeling of a constant fiesta in our living room.

Don't these papel picados liven up an otherwise borderline-classy living room?

In case you’re having trouble reading my homemade banner, here’s a close up:

It's only a matter of time before every party store is awash in these.

For those who aren’t fans of a little gallows humor, perhaps you will instead appreciate my Mexican recipe research (which counts as decor because it’s still hanging on the cupboard door in our kitchen). I realized how many of our favorite Mexican dishes we never actually made in Mexico, since great food was so cheap & readily available at amazing restaurants across D.F.  It took some effort to assess appropriate salsa & sangrita recipes, and many thanks to Lesley for several tips.

Consider a selection of these for your next Mexican-themed gathering! Our optimized sangrita recipe is in the middle column of the right-hand page in black, created after reflecting on the 5 recipes on the left. :)

And finally, some of my favorite more-subtle purchases found a home on the wall above the piano. We quite liked these lacquered photos from Michelle Westholm that provide some great snippets of Mexican life.

You can almost smell those pollos roasting...

What do you think– is it time to take down the papel picados? Should I start a business selling snarky party banners?? Does the phrase “half bath” by definition mean that it is too small to fit a life-sized mannequin wearing a Santo costume??? ;)

12 Comments on “Mexican Decor: more is more”

1. #1 Taylor Jackson
    on Feb 24th, 2011 at 4:32 pm

I totally agree with placing random paper picados acquired in Mexico across the home. I did so myself…(http://twitpic.com/43cn95). However, I like yours much better. Mine is borderline feminine, and not a great match for this bachelor pad.

2. #2 laurencancun
    on Feb 24th, 2011 at 10:09 pm

Hahahahahahahaha – too funny!!!

Mmmmm… I’m thinking it may be time to take the picado’s down!! Sorry, but hey, not like you have to listen to me!!!

As far as the banners – GENIUS!! You could do something about “Swine Flu” as well :)

Love, love the photos above the piano :)

3. #3 Shelly
    on Feb 25th, 2011 at 6:08 am

Is there a way to hide this from Alan? I don’t mind if his office becomes lucha themed but I don’t know about the bathrooms. And I think the banner is perfect.

4. #4 graciela
    on Feb 25th, 2011 at 4:12 pm

I love it all! More papel picado is the answer, not less. I mean in more colors, hot just el tri. Your house looks fantastic, screw neutrals.

5. #5 Joe
    on Feb 26th, 2011 at 11:36 am

Brilliant! I will definitely need to pass on your home gardening tips to Jen. She might still be able to kill that plant, but at least this way she has a fighting chance!

6. #6 Katie
    on Feb 27th, 2011 at 8:36 pm

I think it’s classy.
    In all seriousness though, I love the agave plant. I’m not sure I could pull it off, but I think it’s fabulous.

on Feb 28th, 2011 at 9:59 pm

Taylor– all papel picados are good papel picados… but maybe this means you just need to make another trip to DF to buy a batch with more unified color themes. ;)
    Lauren– I know…. I think it may be time… but now our living room will look so dull… maybe *one* more carnitas party, then they go!
    Shelly- my sincere apologies on that one. maybe you can sway him towards a lucha coat closet instead??
    Graciela- thanks!! i mean, we do have a red/orangey rug, so it only makes sense to complement it with more bright colors dangling from the ceiling right?? ;)
    Joe– I share her pain. Sticker plants are my only chance.
    Kaite- Thanks!! But yes, pls stop us if we start developing a full desert motif in our entryway…

8. #8 Bluegreen Kirk
    on Mar 17th, 2011 at 8:19 am

I guess in my cases less is more. I really like minimum designs and clean lines. Love the taco though all the artwork wouldnt work for me.

9. #9 refried dreamer
    on Mar 19th, 2011 at 10:21 pm

that banner is priceless. :)

10. #10 maria altobelli
    on Mar 21st, 2011 at 6:00 pm

Hola from central Mexico,

Have to say I love the wrestling bathroom. My husband and I once took friends from Minnesota on a non-conventional tour of Mexico City. It included a visit to Deportes Martinez across from the La Arena where the fellow who made the first leather mask for Cyclone Mckey still plies his wares.

Then we went to see the masks at El Cuadrilátero for good espresso but not the super torta offered by the owner, former wrestler, Super Astro.

Even saw a match in El Coliseo but that was after our friends left since we thought the neighborhood would be a little too non-conventional for them. I’m not a fan or wrestling but have a soft spot in my heart for it after that little tour. (I don’t remember facts like. Have to confess to looking them up in the article I wrote for my webpage afterwards.

And living in Michoacán, I love the galley humor and feel that papel picado should stay up forever.

11. #11 Baja Hoodies
    on Aug 26th, 2011 at 9:34 pm

Me encanta mucho la sala de estar con los papeles en el techo.

12. #12 … page in black, created after reflecting on the 5 recipes on the left | Great Cooking
    on Nov 8th, 2011 at 12:19 pm

[...] rest is here: … page in black, created after reflecting on the 5 recipes on the left more on this:Here’s a recipe for Heloise’s taco seasoning mix – CanadaEast.com [...]