Mexico Today!

My friends & family can confirm that I rarely pass up the chance to promote all-things-Mexico. Whether it be travel, food, drink, people, glassware, professional wrestling– you name it and I can probably spend an hour of your time raving about it. (Well, maybe everything except the chapulines. While I have sampled the crispy critters, I will admit to being lukewarm regarding grasshoppers from a culinary perspective…) :)

I had considerable success with my personal “Come visit us in Mexico City! Now!” campaign during our two years living there (I think we had ~25 visitors from the US?).  I may have toned down the constant peer pressure *slightly* since I am no longer there to be visited, but I still leap at the chance to “talk Mexico” when given the slightest opportunity! One of my new coworkers mentioned that her family originally hailed from Guadalajara, and I think I broke into a brief hymn of praise for Karne Garibaldi & its carne en su jugo.

I was beginning to fear that my Mexico fangirl tendencies might not have a proper outlet back here in the US… But then I received an email out of the blue from the PR firm who’s working with Marca Pais – Imagen de México to help them promote business & tourism in Mexico:
“I’m writing today on behalf of the Mexico Tourism Board’s Marca País – Imagen de México initiative, to invite you to join the Mexico Today program. The program will empower writers like you to share Mexico’s true stories with the people who need to hear them the most.  We thought that your love for travel and Mexico made you a perfect fit for the topics that we’d like to discuss on Mexico Today.”

Needless to say, this seemed like a good fit & well in-line with what I’ve been writing about on this blog for the last nearly 3 years! The México Today program will be kicking off this weekend in Oaxaca, so I am thrilled to be flying down to meet all the other folks who will also be a part of it. Several of them include longtime blog friends that I’m excited to finally meet in person- Mexico City: An Opinionated Guide, Canuck in Cancun, Countdown to Mexico, Mexico Cooks, Stay Adventurous- plus many more Mexi-fans that have a variety of interesting backgrounds.

Check out the México Today page at http://www.facebook.com/MexicoToday & let me know what you think. There will be hot action streaming from Twitter as well, and the official website is still a work in progress but can be found at http://mexicotoday.org.

In interest of full disclosure, I will be paid for the content I produce, but it will still be my opinions/thoughts/witty repartee that you’ve come to know & love (or at least tolerate)! I’m pretty excited about the program, because I think they are coming at it from the right angle: we all know that Mexico has its challenges these days, and the goal is not to hide or trivialize those issues. Instead, we hope to offer another perspective– one from folks who have actually lived, worked, and traveled on the ground in Mexico. Then you can be the judge!

Who better to promote Mexico than a girl who goes all the way to China to get her photo taken with an accented e that's as tall as she is?

I’m sure I’ll have more details after this weekend, so look forward to tales from Oaxaca plus me raving about being in the epicenter of mezcal, mole, and my favorite Mexican cheese. :)

14 Comments on “Mexico Today!”

1. #1 Jenny
    on Jun 22nd, 2011 at 12:11 am

Yay! Any chance you’ll swing through the DF???

2. #2 meredith
    on Jun 22nd, 2011 at 1:23 am

That sounds like a great project!

(bonjour from an ex-islander :)

on Jun 22nd, 2011 at 5:10 am

Jenny– I wish!!! Unfortunately 1 day off work is all I can manage @ the end of the quarter, so while I will be flying through DF, both times it is with a <2-hr layover. :( Booo!!

Thanks Meredith!!

4. #4 Alice
    on Jun 22nd, 2011 at 8:27 am

felicidades!! looking forward to keeping up with your opinions/thoughts/witty repartee. besitos!!

5. #5 Laura
    on Jun 22nd, 2011 at 11:18 am

Congrats Julie! I’ve been following your site since I arrived in DF, looking forward to meeting you this weekend. Love the photo! ;-)

6. #6 Laura in Cancun
    on Jun 22nd, 2011 at 11:40 am

Congrats! I’ll see you in Oaxaca this weekend :)

7. #7 Katie
    on Jun 22nd, 2011 at 8:04 pm

Yea! Excited to read about your trip.

8. #8 Yojo
    on Jun 22nd, 2011 at 8:26 pm

A simple formula, for a low-budget campaign: “Hey! why don’t we look at Mexico blogs with some traffic and exploit a ready-made audience?” SOLD! But, the blogger list is somewhat diminished wherever anything negative might be construed. The list of enthusiastic, young, newbies shrinks…

“Give them free stuff, domestic/US plane tics (nothing too far flung) a room, a taco reception and a stipend to write what we want and they’ll jump! Make them think they’re credentialed travel writers/journalists.”

How many of you have already gushed on your blogs?

Remember you’ll be obliged to keep it flowery, no more mention of the untreated sewage being pumped underground by gazillions of two-bit tourists for the last 25 years.

on Jun 22nd, 2011 at 9:38 pm

Yojo- Thanks for your commentary, but perhaps you overestimate the impact of this both on my self-esteem and on the content of this blog. I don’t intend to change the perspective I’ve written from during my two years living in DF. If you consider that overly flowery, so be it.

As I stated above, the intent isn’t to pretend that all of Mexico is a panacea. There are already plenty of “credentialed journalists” covering the problems. Instead, I’m sharing my personal experiences with Mexico (which were largely positive, as per the ~200 posts I wrote before signing on with this program) + whatever other random news strikes me of interest.

If someone wants to give me a stipend to keep doing what I’ve been doing, I don’t consider that particularly nefarious. But I look forward to your assessment moving forward!

10. #10 Refried Dreamer
    on Jun 22nd, 2011 at 9:53 pm

COngratulations Julie! Have a great trip!!!

on Jun 22nd, 2011 at 10:17 pm

Thanks ladies! Looking forward to it. :)

12. #12 Yojo
    on Jun 22nd, 2011 at 10:30 pm

Actually madam, we spit that unkind chit b-cos we were feeling particularly ornery.

Our beloved Mexico is in the pits, and she needs honest cheerleaders.

There’s no way to retract after you hit SEND.

Have a safe trip.

13. #13 Mexico Today- Keep track of all the news! – Midwesterner in Mexico
    on Jun 29th, 2012 at 2:44 pm

[...] have the opportunity to continue working with the Mexico Today program in 2012!  (You may recall my post on this from last year.)  We have even more great contributors involved this time around, and there [...]

14. #14 emilly
    on Feb 12th, 2013 at 1:25 pm

é lindo o mexico se deus permiti um dia eu estarei ai e conhecer thalia