Have you ever been sitting at your computer, paging through this blog, and thought to yourself, “You know, Julie is not the only one with stories to tell about Mexico…. I too have lots of witty/touching/inspiring/riveting things to share about this country! When will I be given the chance to share my stories about Mexico??”
My friends, this time is now! The Mexico Today program that I’m a part of recently launched the Mexico Today Social Magazine on Facebook. This is a pretty slick online publication that will profile stories & submissions from a variety of Mexico bloggers & influences, including me + my 23 Mexico Today Ambassador pals. The content will be community-driven from folks who are fans of Mexico, and the goal is for the Social Mag to have fresh, dynamic content for readers interested in Mexico’s culture, economy, environment, food, etc. Right now we’re in “gather content” mode, and then in November, you’ll be able to see the second phase with the contributions all prettied-up into an online magazine.
So how does this impact you? We want your Mexico stories! Tell us about that time you had the best cup of esquites from that street food stand in Puerto Vallarta. Tell us about your amazing destination wedding that you pulled off for 100 of your dearest family & friends on the white sand beaches of Tulum. Tell us about your trip through Copper Canyon on the only passenger train left in Mexico & meeting the Tarahumara Indians profiled in that book,”Born to Run.” Tell us about that time you had one too many shots of lighter-fluid-grade tequila at Señor Frogs…er, wait. On second thought, that is one Mexico story that we might pass on. But ALL THE REST of those stories– those we want.
And the best part? You might win $500 for sharing your Mexi-insights online! Each month, they’ll be drawing 10 winners, which makes me feel like you actually have a chance at some $$$. (And those are dollars, not pesos people!)
Here’s all you need to do:
- Go to the Mexico Today facebook page at www.facebook.com/MexicoToday, and click on the link on the left that says Social Magazine. Or get to the mag directly at this link.
- Click on the green box that says “Submit your story or link for the launch!”
- Don’t get freaked out by the ol’ Facebook “this app needs to access your info/settings” warning– we promise not to e-stalk you.
- If you have a blog, great- you can just submit the link to what you’ve written.
- No blog? No worries! Just scroll a bit farther down the submission form under the “Write Your Story” heading. Here, you can type in any anecdotes you’d like to share!
- If you are a friend of mine, this will probably be either a) how visiting Julie & John is Mexico City was totally the best trip you’ve ever taken in your life, or b) how you have this friend who is constantly talking/writing about how great Mexico is so you’ve decided to plan a trip there just to get her to shut up.
- If you aren’t a friend of mine, you should have more latitude in your topic selections.
- That’s it– thanks for sharing your Mexi-story with the world. Now just sit back, relax, and keep your fingers crossed that $500 gift card will soon be winging its way towards you!
If you’re curious to see what others have been submitting for the Mexico Today Social Magazine, check out this great summary from fellow ambassador Laura. Also, you can review the legalese on the Facebook page, but you have to be a legal US/Canadian (but not Quebec) resident in order to win, and not living in my house….sorry, John.
Looking forward to see what gems y’all have to share, so keep me posted if this inspires you to send anything in! If you win, I will be happy to serve as a consultant on what Mexican-themed food & goods to spend that money on– free of charge, in exchange for just one tamale.
Disclosure: I am being compensated for my work in creating content as a Contributor for the México Today Program. All stories, opinions and passion for all things México shared in my blog are completely my own.