Back to Mexico City!!

This past year has been a struggle for me & John to readjust from the “every other weekend = a 3-day+ vacation to a beach, jungle, colonial town or archaeological site” schedule that we got accustomed to living in Mexico City. :) (Yes, I can almost feel your waves of sympathy washing over me.)   So after a long, challenging, nearly-vacation-free 2011, we made last minute plans to zip down to Mexico City today (Friday Jan 6th).  We debated going somewhere new & unknown to us, but for this particular trip, the comfortable & familiar won out. Consider it a greatest hits tour….just 15 months after the original tour.

Planning has been pretty light thus far… all we’ve really accomplished is starting a list of places we need to eat…. So far we have:

Point being– we are super excited to eat & wander through all the fun neighborhoods, mercados, etc. & track down some friends while we’re there.  More photos to follow of anything else new we discover while there. My current fascination is this– Bamboocycle, a company that makes bicycles out of bamboo. Love it!

Is it wrong to just want to replicate this photo again in person? Love ya, tacos al pastor (& even the sullen taquero).

10 Comments on “Back to Mexico City!!”

1. #1 Michael Wolf
    on Jan 6th, 2012 at 11:17 am

If you end up buying one of those bamboo bikes, please be sure to review it after you’ve had a chance to give it some uso rudo. I saw the guys who make them at a bike fair a few months ago, and the bikes looked pretty good, but I did have some concerns about how well they’d hold up to riding in the rain, among other things.

2. #2 jim johnston
    on Jan 6th, 2012 at 1:30 pm

If you have time go to Maximo’s, a new restaurant in Colonia Roma (Zacatecas at Tonalá)–the chef worked at Pujol for 3 years. Happy New Year.

3. #3 Mary
    on Jan 6th, 2012 at 5:13 pm

I love your blog and stumbled across it one day. I read all the posts from day one. Really enjoyed it. I am also from Nebraska (Omaha), my parents from farm families, so there were so many aspects of your family stories that really resonated. I live in Dallas now but would like to make extended visits to Mexico one day. One thing though- I wish I could sign up to receive your blog updates by email? Love your writing!

4. #4 Steven
    on Jan 31st, 2012 at 9:49 am

If you ever get a chance to visit Santa Fe De La Laguna, in Michoacan, please email me and tell me all about it.
    I am planning on going there sometime in the reasonable future and would like a little preview.
    I understand that the only place to stay is in a “Hostel”, ran by local women. Not to mention, how to get there from Morelia airport, without having to pay an arm and a leg.

Thanks for listening to my ramblings,
    Steven in Texas

5. #5 AJ Desatnik
    on Apr 11th, 2012 at 3:32 pm

Thanks so much for sharing your favorite spots in Mexico. It is refreshing to read some positive comments on Mexico instead of the main stream media’s continual focus on violence.

6. #6 alex
    on May 31st, 2012 at 2:16 am

Hola,
    Soy un amante de la música mas bonita del mundo, la música de mariachi. Estare atento a sus comentarios.
    Saludos

7. #7 u
    on Jun 20th, 2012 at 5:25 pm

you are very very gringa eeverywhere

8. #8 Jorge Campos
    on Nov 21st, 2012 at 2:37 pm

lol @ the guy in the picture. He’s like, “Really? A Picture? I make tacos for God’s sake.”

9. #9 kathy stanton
    on Jun 10th, 2013 at 8:49 am

Just happened upon your posts when I was looking for factory tours in MEX – you’re hilarious! I love how you poke fun at stupid stuff yet it’s clear that you love Mexico! My Mom was from MEX so we spent many summers in MEX visiting family, walking, shopping, eating, etc. Now days I go back and hang in the burbs with my cousins, but I really want to take my 14 year old boy into the interesting neighborhoods – a lot of the places that you seem to love. Do you have any suggestions for 2 days in MEX before we head to PUE for the family reunion? You’re clearly too young to have a teenager, but (spoiler alert) they get bored quickly. Thanks very much for the entertaining reads – and for your genuine love of all things Mexican! Best regards from LA, Kathy

10. #10 pauljosefh
    on Oct 24th, 2013 at 1:06 am

Nice post! love to read your blog. Would love to see more.